Fred Banks wins Inns of Court award
Fred L. Banks Jr., senior partner at Phelps Dunbar and former presiding justice of the Mississippi Supreme Court, was recently honored with the American Inns of Court Professionalism Award at the 2013 Judicial Conference of the Fifth Circuit in Fort Worth, Texas. Banks has practiced in the areas of commercial litigation, alternative dispute resolution, legislative and governmental relations, and appellate law at Phelps Dunbar’s Jackson office since retiring from the Mississippi Supreme Court in 2001. Prior to his appointment to the Supreme Court, he served as a circuit judge in Hinds and Yazoo counties and in the Mississippi House of Representatives, where he was chair of the Ethics Committee and a member of the House Judiciary Committee “B” as well as the Legislative Black Caucus.
Banks is a member of a number of bar associations, including the Mississippi Bar Association, Magnolia Bar Association, National Bar Association, the American Bar Association and District of Columbia Bar Association. In addition, he is a member of the national board of directors of the NAACP, Charles Clark Inn of Court and American Law Institute. He has also served on a number of boards of directors for community improvement activities.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Alcorn president launches new customer service task force
- NEW IN MADISON COUNTY — Mississippi Bio-Medical Business Collaboratory to be introduced Friday
- David Duval, former British Open winner, joins Sanderson Farms field
- Court rules against Greenwood councilwoman; must give up office
- GreenTech holds grand opening of neighborhood electric vehicle plant
- Turner Grain’s bankruptcy will help consolidate lawsuits alleging breach of contract
- Cochran continues to reach out to African American voters
- Peoples Bank reports quarterly loss due to bad loans
- Senators write letter over Waters of the United States proposal