Tornado relief drive at USM goes quiet in wake of Oklahoma disaster
by MBJ Staff
Published: May 22,2013
Tags: charity, college, damage, destruction, disaster, disaster recovery, donate, donation, donor, education, higher education, natural disaster, postsecondary education, public university, relief, tornado, university, Weather
HATTIESBURG — The University of Southern Mississippi Foundation reports its tornado relief and campus beautification campaigns were “entering a quiet phase” as the nation focuses its attention on tornado victims in Oklahoma.
During this time the Foundation will refrain from publicly soliciting donors for the campaigns.
The Foundation launched the tornado relief effort immediately following the Feb. 10 EF-4 tornado that tore through the Hattiesburg area and the campus beautification campaign in April to help fund the restoration of the Hattiesburg campus landscape that was heavily impacted by the tornado.
“Today, we continue the restoration of our Hattiesburg campus,” said University president Rodney Bennett, “but our hearts and minds are with the tornado victims in Oklahoma.”
The University of Southern Mississippi and the USM Foundation encourages its alumni, friends and supporters to consider assisting the Oklahoma tornado victims through their preferred disaster relief organization.
“It is inappropriate for us to continue to publicly request funds for our tornado relief and restoration efforts at a time where there has been such a significant loss of life in Oklahoma,” vice president for university advancement and executive director of the USM Foundation Bob Pierce said. “We were impacted by the tornado on February 10, but we were blessed that no one in the Hattiesburg area died. The focus right now should be on those in Oklahoma. Out of respect to those who lost loved ones, homes and businesses, we are postponing the request for further contributions at this time.”
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- JOSH MABUS: Bill Murray and business misfits
- The Dan Jones-IHL saga: Is this the story that started it all?
- BILL CRAWFORD: Dan Jones not the angel he is portrayed to be
- DAVID DALLAS — From Dan and Dixie with love
- Analysis: Closed meetings can feed false public impressions
- Email from Nash to Delta Council’s Morgan included in DHA court file
- Suit against Kemper employee Brett Wingo is dismissed
- Dan Jones rejects IHL offer, won't publicly apologize
- Statue depicts famous duel that originated 'Bowie knife'