After lengthy restoration, harbor finally reopens
Published: May 28,2013
BILOXI — Delays are over and the Biloxi Commercial Harbor has re-opened in time for the 2013 shrimp season.
WLOX TV reports that shrimpers are glad the harbor is back in business.
The harbor has 55 slips, along with concrete piers and new pilings. It’s also deeper than before.
The harbor was badly damaged by Hurricane Katrina in 2005. The recent restoration project started in early 2012, but work was delayed amid disagreements over the length of pilings, which pilings should be replaced, and what to do with the dredge spoils.
Shrimpers spent Memorial Day at the harbor preparing for the blessing of the fleet and the upcoming season.
“We’re redoing the whole boat, painting here, working there, scraping this,” said Miral Nelson.
Nelson is one of 20 shrimpers who have returned to the newly-restored harbor.
“It helps a lot because when we first got here, we didn’t have no power. If we had to get water, it’s all the way at the end of the pier. Now, we got power, water, nice big pier. It’s nice,” said Nelson.
During the construction, some boats had to dock temporarily at the Point Cadet Marina, while others moved to the Small Craft Harbor.
“About time I have a place to park. Before, I park everywhere around. Now they fix it up, let me in, and it looks good,” said Biloxi shrimper Ran Bui.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Two BancorpSouth mergers delayed by federal inquiries
- Severstal selling plants, including Severstal Columbus
- Wasted away — Margaritaville in Biloxi to close by Sept. 19
- Moon River Foods creating 100 jobs in Mississippi Delta
- WILLOUGHBY: Broadband Voice founder Gary Watts isn’t afraid to take chances
- Communities awarded national Main Street accreditation
- Police find Attorney General Hood's stolen handgun
- Pickwick Pines settles lawsuit; pays $260K
- MSU sets new annual fundraising record of $106M-plus