After lengthy restoration, harbor finally reopens
Published: May 28,2013
BILOXI — Delays are over and the Biloxi Commercial Harbor has re-opened in time for the 2013 shrimp season.
WLOX TV reports that shrimpers are glad the harbor is back in business.
The harbor has 55 slips, along with concrete piers and new pilings. It’s also deeper than before.
The harbor was badly damaged by Hurricane Katrina in 2005. The recent restoration project started in early 2012, but work was delayed amid disagreements over the length of pilings, which pilings should be replaced, and what to do with the dredge spoils.
Shrimpers spent Memorial Day at the harbor preparing for the blessing of the fleet and the upcoming season.
“We’re redoing the whole boat, painting here, working there, scraping this,” said Miral Nelson.
Nelson is one of 20 shrimpers who have returned to the newly-restored harbor.
“It helps a lot because when we first got here, we didn’t have no power. If we had to get water, it’s all the way at the end of the pier. Now, we got power, water, nice big pier. It’s nice,” said Nelson.
During the construction, some boats had to dock temporarily at the Point Cadet Marina, while others moved to the Small Craft Harbor.
“About time I have a place to park. Before, I park everywhere around. Now they fix it up, let me in, and it looks good,” said Biloxi shrimper Ran Bui.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Spivey named Under 40 Business Person of the Year by the Mississippi Business Journal
- Bids on reworking Interstate 55 stretch are rejected
- JACK WEATHERLY: Economic development in these parts is a ‘family’ business
- Two new casinos like the odds on Mississippi Gulf Coast
- Report ranks state schools' performance 51st in the nation
- The leadership styles of President Obama
- JACK WEATHERLY: Finding a house, defending a neighborhood, finding a voice
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years
- WRESTLING SUCCESS — Ted DiBiase Jr. leaves ring to become entrepreneur