Cemetery out of receivership, gets new owner
by MBJ Staff
Published: May 29,2013
BOONEVILLE — Oaklawn Memorial Park in Booneville has a new owner.
Secretary of State Delbert Hosemann announced the sale to Jeff Rencher of Corinth.
“When our agency was first named as receiver of Oaklawn, the books, records and finances of this cemetery were in shambles,” said Hosemann. “Our staff has worked diligently to piece this property back together for public sale. Our goal has always been to return Oaklawn to private ownership.”
In November 2011, Hosemann was appointed receiver of Oaklawn Memorial Park after former owner Wayne Hight failed to adequately trust 85 percent of funds received for funeral services and merchandise as required by state law and misapplying or converting pre-need funds.
Hight was indicted and sentenced to 10 years in jail, with six suspended.
Rencher’s successful bid on the property includes a $3,456 cash payment; 25 percent discount on burial containers or burial vaults for individuals with previous Oaklawn preneed contracts; and, a minimum discount of 30 percent up to a maximum of 50 percent for grave opening and closings for individuals with Oaklawn preneed contracts
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- Judge intends to rule on McDaniel's challenge before general election
- Oxford’s FNC getting new headquarters
- QUIRKY? NO, JERKY — Whatever your craving, Beef Jerky Outlets likely has the flavor among 200+ choices
- (UPDATE) I-20 partially closed as vehicle carrying hazardous materials burns
- Coast family wins $644K in tideland lawsuit against state
- Officials set hunting dates for birds; expands dove season by 20 days
- Corps official: River needs larger ports, locks and dams
- C Spire, UM installing Wi-Fi network at Vaught-Hemingway Stadium
- Community Bank, Pinnacle Trust ink new agreement