Magazine ranks state in top 10 for trophy whitetail deer
by MBJ Staff
Published: May 29,2013
ACROSS MISSISSIPPI — Outdoor Life’s June/July issue names Mississippi as one of its top 10 states to hunt whitetail trophy.
After tallying the scores, Mississippi ranked seventh with an abundance of game to hunt, relatively low cost for guided hunts and hunter-friendly laws and regulations.
The magazine uses real-world considerations to assess the top ten whitetail trophy states in the U.S. The publication reviewed the last three years of Boone and Crockett Club record-book entries and noted the number of bucks that made the book from each state; considered hunter density per state to determine the competition for trophy bucks; noted the average fee of a fair-chase, fully guided, five-day hunt during the rut in each state, as well as nonresident license fees; and, finally, looked at each state’s hunter friendliness.
“Every year there are stories about which state has become the latest trophy whitetail destination, but frankly the equation has been wrong all along,” says Andrew McKean, editor of Outdoor Life. “If you only look at the total number of deer killed, it gives an unfair advantage to states with high numbers of hunters and deer. When you’re considering investing the time and money it can often take to go on a trophy hunt it’s important to consider all the factors to get the most accurate picture, which is what we’ve done.”
The top states were ranked as follows: Kentucky; Kansas; Indiana; Iowa; Minnesota; Illinois; Mississippi; Nebraska; Ohio; and, Oklahoma.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
2 Responses to “Magazine ranks state in top 10 for trophy whitetail deer”
Top Posts & Pages
- (UPDATE) Prison won’t interrupt ex-prison chief’s retirement cash flow
- 2014 a good year for filmmaking in Mississippi
- JOSH MABUS — Inbound marketing is fueled by wishful thinking
- MARTIN WILLOUGHBY — Doug Dale’s self-awareness helps lift him to top of his game
- PHIL HARDWICK: When Bill Cooley talks, people listen
- Ex-prison boss and businessman admit to bribery scheme
- MBJ Business Woman of the Year Top 10
- ASA postmortem: industrial recruiting is a constant cycle of death and life
- Meet the MBJ's Businesswoman of the Year — Rosemary Smith, a business hotshot