Dems, mayoral candidate wants city election monitored
Published: May 30,2013
MERIDIAN — A candidate for mayor in Meridian has joined with the Lauderdale County Democratic Party in asking the U.S. Department of Justice to monitor the June 4 Meridian election.
A party spokesman and mayoral candidate Percy Bland both told the Meridian Star they had made the request.
Bland said he wants to make sure voters are not turned away or intimidated.
Yesterday, a Justice Department official said the department never announces its intent to monitor an election until the day before the election.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Spivey named Under 40 Business Person of the Year by the Mississippi Business Journal
- JACK WEATHERLY: Finding a house, defending a neighborhood, finding a voice
- Top 40 Under 40
- Terminal upgrade on indefinite hold at Jackson International Airport
- Bids on reworking Interstate 55 stretch are rejected
- JACK WEATHERLY: Economic development in these parts is a ‘family’ business
- CFPB wants repay ability at center of new payday loan rules
- MDA to close all its regional offices
- Top 40 Under 40 (digital magazine)