Dems, mayoral candidate wants city election monitored
by Associated Press
Published: May 30,2013
MERIDIAN — A candidate for mayor in Meridian has joined with the Lauderdale County Democratic Party in asking the U.S. Department of Justice to monitor the June 4 Meridian election.
A party spokesman and mayoral candidate Percy Bland both told the Meridian Star they had made the request.
Bland said he wants to make sure voters are not turned away or intimidated.
Yesterday, a Justice Department official said the department never announces its intent to monitor an election until the day before the election.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Omega Protein shifting vessels to Mississippi
- CARTOON — Nobile illustrates Thad Cochran's most significant advantage over the competition
- Judge denies ex-mayor's motion to vacate Katrina-related conviction
- Bankrupt Simply Wheelz chooses prevailing bidder for assets
- Wiseman retiring after nearly 30 years with Stennis Institute
- IKE TROTTER: There are primary changes in Social Security for 2014
- Real estate developer to plead guilty to wetlands violation
- PSC unanimously rejects Entergy-ITC proposed merger
- Alumni-couple donate $12.3M to Mississippi State
- Company mulling plan to build new pipeline