Dems, mayoral candidate wants city election monitored
Published: May 30,2013
MERIDIAN — A candidate for mayor in Meridian has joined with the Lauderdale County Democratic Party in asking the U.S. Department of Justice to monitor the June 4 Meridian election.
A party spokesman and mayoral candidate Percy Bland both told the Meridian Star they had made the request.
Bland said he wants to make sure voters are not turned away or intimidated.
Yesterday, a Justice Department official said the department never announces its intent to monitor an election until the day before the election.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Outside group files arguments supporting McDaniel
- Court rules board can discipline West Virginia radiologist
- DAVID DALLAS: Mississippi's in'adequate' public schools
- MDEQ fines metalworking firm over hazardous waste
- Grain buyer’s bankruptcy could take steep toll on Delta farmers
- Payday lender, fired executive exchanging blame for lender’s regulatory woes
- C Spire now offering new Blast Motion technology for athletes
- Mad Genius, Eyevox owner acquires Mississippi Film Studios
- Mississippi no longer has highest unemployment rate in nation