Commission gives nod to design of new $300M hospital
Published: May 31,2013
The plans were presented to the commission this week by the hospital’s design team, A2H.
Although the entire site is expected to be annexed into the City of Oxford and thus be removed from county review, it lies partly outside the city, and the annexation is under appeal to the Mississippi Supreme Court. Baptist needs get approval from the planning boards of the city and county.
Lafayette County Planning Commission Chairman T.J. Ray said county planners were only approving the southern portion of the project that is in the county.
The plans are scheduled to come before the Oxford Planning Commission on June 10
Baptist Memorial Hospital-North Mississippi plans to build on the 160-acre site located south of Mississippi Highway 6.
While the new facility will have the same 217 beds the current facility has, at least when it first opens, the hospital’s departments will expand and will be more state-of-the-art. Baptist will build the hospital with the potential to expand to 290 beds in the future.
Once the hospital gets its approvals from the city and county, it hopes to being land leveling and other site preparation as early as September.
Construction will includes some road improvements, the building of a retention pond behind Harland Drive and a 100-foot buffer zone for a portion of the road. Near the retention pond will be a 50-foot setback with trees, which will impact about five properties.
“We like the closed loop campus scenario,” said Pat Harcourt, senior vice president of A2H. “They don’t like a lot of through traffic for pedestrian areas. This is quicker for emergency vehicles and keeps everything contained.”
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
One Response to “Commission gives nod to design of new $300M hospital”
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- Officials set hunting dates for birds; expands dove season by 20 days
- Brandon man hauls in record 756-pound alligator
- Is cotton looking too good? Farmers facing weaker prices
- Woman found guilty of murder in buttocks injection case
- FLIPPING OUT — Flipping houses is popular in much of the country, but in Mississippi ...
- REVVING UP — Motorcars of Jackson is preparing to open its first-ever showroom on I-55
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years
- Mississippi judge dismisses lawsuit seeking to overturn Sen. Cochran's GOP primary win
- Healthcare Marketplace to look much the same in 2015