Southern Miss to start massive student residence complex
by MBJ Staff
Published: May 31,2013
Tags: architech, build, builder, building, college, construction, contract, contractor, design, dormitory, education, high education, postsecondary education, public university, student residence, university
HATTIESBURG — Construction is scheduled to begin soon on a massive student housing project on the University of Southern Mississippi’s Hattiesburg campus.
Century Park South will bring residence halls to Southern Miss, providing 954 beds for freshmen and other scholarship students. The $55.6-million project will feature three buildings, with five floors in each structure.
“The addition of Century Park South will be transformational for our Hattiesburg campus. Not only will we now have a critical mass of state-of-the-art luxury housing for students, but also that north central part of campus will become a beautiful showcase area,” said Dr. Joe Paul, vice president for Student Affairs. ”This will complete the second phase of our master plan for campus housing and will serve us well as we grow for many years to come.”
The new construction comes on the heels of Century Park North’s grand opening in August 2010. Located just across Fourth Street and the main campus, Century Park includes four buildings with four floors and 864 beds.
To make room for Century Park South, two aging residence halls — Vann Hall and Scott Hall — were demolished. The east end of Bond Hall, which housed staff offices primarily, was also included in the demolition plan. Southern Miss officials note that the demolition process is nearing completion.
The McCarty Company-Design Group, P.A. of Tupelo is serving as the lead architect on the project with assistance from Hanbury Evans Wright Vlattas + Company, Architectural Planning Company of Norfolk, Va. Harrell Contracting Group, LLC, of Jackson has been chosen as the contractor, pending approval by the State Institutions of Higher Learning Board.
Buildings B and C of the project have an estimated completion date of July 2014 with 511 beds available for the fall semester. Building A, which will also include the new Moffett Health Clinic, is scheduled for completion in January 2015. The remaining beds would be move-in ready for the spring semester of that year.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Half century of memories — Christmas on Deer Creek to celebrate 50th anniversary
- Prison-contract task force working in wake of Epps' indictment
- Bryant wants free tuition for students with technical diploma
- (UPDATE) Gov. Bryant: $1.2 billion aluminum plant is a very exciting proposition for the state of Mississippi
- Analyst: KiOR Columbus plant may end up sold as scrap
- Prescott leads field for Conerly Trophy as state's best football player
- County to ask if it can use unspent hurricane recovery money
- BILL CRAWFORD: Bryant’s tax cut won’t stop spending growth
- UM Chancellor Jones: Lymphoma treatment going well