MSU cyber operations education earns federal designation
by MBJ Staff
Published: June 3,2013
STARKVILLE — The National Security Agency and U.S. Cyber Command have designated Mississippi State University as a Center of Academic Excellence in cyber operations.
The certification comes after a rigorous, two-year application process by faculty in the departments of computer science and engineering (CSE) and electrical and computer engineering (ECE).
David A. Dampier, a professor of computer science and engineering at the land-grant institution, led the effort.
Of note, the university also holds national CAE designations in information assurance education and in information assurance research. According to Mississippi State, it is the only institution of higher education in the state to attain the three designations.
In addition to Dampier, the MSU team which worked to attain the designation were, from CSE, Cindy Bethel, Yogi Dandass, Wesley McGrew, Mahalingam Ramkumar, Ed Swan and Byron Williams; and from ECE, Sherif Abdelwahed, Bryan Jones, Pan Li, Tommy Morris and Robert Reese.
The university’s cyber security capabilities include three research centers: the Center for Computer Security Research, the National Forensics Training Center and the Critical Infrastructure Protection Center.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- Officials set hunting dates for birds; expands dove season by 20 days
- FLIPPING OUT — Flipping houses is popular in much of the country, but in Mississippi ...
- MBJ Special report: MDA numbers help with cities’ retail pitches
- REVVING UP — Motorcars of Jackson is preparing to open its first-ever showroom on I-55
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years
- COO of TL Wallace Construction keeps eye on revenue growth and profits
- RAISING AWARENESS — Lori Newcomb, family join fight against ovarian cancer
- Isle of Capri reports decreased in-state revenues; experiencing 'market pressures'
- DREAMS AND OYSTERS — Houstons set for August opening of Saltine in Fondren