GPO expands Coast operations, adds TTP cards
by MBJ Staff
Published: June 4,2013
HANCOCK COUNTY — The U.S. Government Printing Office (GPO) has expanded operations at its secure production facility on the grounds of the Stennis Space Center to include smart card production.
GPO opened the facility in 2008 as a second location to produce passports for the Department of State and since that time has produced 19 million passports at the facility.
This new expansion of the production of smart cards will include Trusted Traveler Program (TTP) cards for the Department of Homeland Security’s Customs and Border Protection. GPO will be producing approximately 20,000 TTP cards per month at the Mississippi facility.
TTP cardholders experience expedited travel when crossing at the United States’ northern and southern borders and when going through customs for international travel at airports.
GPO started producing TTP cards in 2008 and has produced two million cards at its secure production facility in Washington, D.C.
Acting public printer Davita Vance-Cooks said, “The expansion of smart card production at our Mississippi facility is an example of the growing demand for secure federal credentials. GPO will continue to expand its smart card business and looks forward to working with other government agencies on their secure credential needs.”
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- MSU reminding fans that drones are prohibited at football games
- Former DPS employees sentenced for selling bogus driver's licenses
- Politics of paying for transportation: Hand wringing and a lot of talk
- Researchers: Trapping, not hunting, best way to control wild hogs
- DeSoto County Supervisor Lee dies in ATV accident on his birthday
- Research on dogs could lead to better understanding of human cancer
- Keesler Medical Center set to begin $74M renovation project
- ONE MORE YEAR: Leaders want year more of study on comprehensive road, bridge upkeep
- Community college dedicating new welding technology center