Coroner resigns as auditor investigates invoices, payments
Published: June 7,2013
NEW ALBANY — Union County Coroner Mark Golding has resigned.
On Thursday, the State Auditor’s Office confirmed Golding is being investigated for filing false claims and invoices with the county over death investigations and was paid for the claims.
A news release says investigators seized a $5,000 check Wednesday from the Union County Chancery Clerk’s Office as evidence.
State Auditor Stacey Pickering says the alleged crime was uncovered during the standard audit process.
Audit investigators say Golding resigned Thursday.
District Attorney Ben Creekmore tells WTVA-TV the investigation is continuing and any information uncovered will be presented to a grand jury.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Source: Bryant has offered Glenn McCullough MDA job
- College Board names Glenn Boyce as higher education chief
- TRANSITION AT THE MDA — Is Mississippi better off than it was 3 years ago?
- (WITH VIDEO) Funding secured for Capitol Art Lofts in downtown Jackson
- Deepwater Horizon Five Years Later — Restoring the Mississippi coast starts with a strong foundation
- PHIL HARDWICK: The third grade reading gate, book buddies and school principals
- Chancery Court’s interpretation of ‘public use’ will guide ruling on Westin money
- THE SPIN CYCLE — Key results from Pew’s social media survey
- COMMERCIAL FINANCE 701: Loans disguised as government bonds (BOANs)