Coroner resigns as auditor investigates invoices, payments
Published: June 7,2013
NEW ALBANY — Union County Coroner Mark Golding has resigned.
On Thursday, the State Auditor’s Office confirmed Golding is being investigated for filing false claims and invoices with the county over death investigations and was paid for the claims.
A news release says investigators seized a $5,000 check Wednesday from the Union County Chancery Clerk’s Office as evidence.
State Auditor Stacey Pickering says the alleged crime was uncovered during the standard audit process.
Audit investigators say Golding resigned Thursday.
District Attorney Ben Creekmore tells WTVA-TV the investigation is continuing and any information uncovered will be presented to a grand jury.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- Retired judge to hear McDaniel's challenge of primary loss to Cochran
- PSC's Brandon Presley calls in-state nuclear waste dump a 'harebrained scheme'
- Georgia-Pacific completes acquisition of SPG Holdings
- Venture Tech merges with ISC, acquires SAT
- Officials set hunting dates for birds; expands dove season by 20 days
- State's jobless rate remains highest in U.S.
- Former DMR manager pleads guilty to embezzlement
- GOLF ranks state's courses; Fallen Oaks, Dancing Rabbit make top 100
- C Spire, UM installing Wi-Fi network at Vaught-Hemingway Stadium