Coroner resigns as auditor investigates invoices, payments
Published: June 7,2013
NEW ALBANY — Union County Coroner Mark Golding has resigned.
On Thursday, the State Auditor’s Office confirmed Golding is being investigated for filing false claims and invoices with the county over death investigations and was paid for the claims.
A news release says investigators seized a $5,000 check Wednesday from the Union County Chancery Clerk’s Office as evidence.
State Auditor Stacey Pickering says the alleged crime was uncovered during the standard audit process.
Audit investigators say Golding resigned Thursday.
District Attorney Ben Creekmore tells WTVA-TV the investigation is continuing and any information uncovered will be presented to a grand jury.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- UMMC reaching out after death of high school football player
- UPDATED: Jackson agrees to repay HUD $1.5 million for Farish Street blunders
- Gov. Bryant intervening in same-sex couple's divorce
- Vicksburg mayor marries during lunch break
- City leaders vote against offering insurance to one adult, possibly same-sex partner
- School superintendent says he never intended to hire wife's uncle, but recommended him
- Mississippi River mayors announce 'seed money' for waterfront developments
- Biloxi baseball project still alive but may be held for 2015
- MDOT: Work on I-269 is on schedule, several phases at halfway point