Coroner resigns as auditor investigates invoices, payments
Published: June 7,2013
NEW ALBANY — Union County Coroner Mark Golding has resigned.
On Thursday, the State Auditor’s Office confirmed Golding is being investigated for filing false claims and invoices with the county over death investigations and was paid for the claims.
A news release says investigators seized a $5,000 check Wednesday from the Union County Chancery Clerk’s Office as evidence.
State Auditor Stacey Pickering says the alleged crime was uncovered during the standard audit process.
Audit investigators say Golding resigned Thursday.
District Attorney Ben Creekmore tells WTVA-TV the investigation is continuing and any information uncovered will be presented to a grand jury.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- WILLOUGHBY: Bernie Reed cites hard work as key to success of Reed’s Metals
- Analyst: KiOR Columbus plant may end up sold as scrap
- Gulf oil rig explosion kills one worker, injures three
- (UPDATE) Gov. Bryant: $1.2 billion aluminum plant is a very exciting proposition for the state of Mississippi
- Federal appeals court: State's abortion law is unconstitutional
- Ex-MDEQ leader Fisher joins Butler Snow
- Six out of eight universities could have higher tuitions in 2015
- Former MDEQ Executive Director Trudy Fisher joins Butler Snow
- Humana and Bill, Hillary and Chelsea Clinton Foundation partnering
- Can Metrocenter rise from the ashes? Again