Coroner resigns as auditor investigates invoices, payments
Published: June 7,2013
NEW ALBANY — Union County Coroner Mark Golding has resigned.
On Thursday, the State Auditor’s Office confirmed Golding is being investigated for filing false claims and invoices with the county over death investigations and was paid for the claims.
A news release says investigators seized a $5,000 check Wednesday from the Union County Chancery Clerk’s Office as evidence.
State Auditor Stacey Pickering says the alleged crime was uncovered during the standard audit process.
Audit investigators say Golding resigned Thursday.
District Attorney Ben Creekmore tells WTVA-TV the investigation is continuing and any information uncovered will be presented to a grand jury.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- GreenTech holds grand opening of neighborhood electric vehicle plant
- NEW IN MADISON COUNTY — Mississippi Bio-Medical Business Collaboratory to be introduced Friday
- Turner Grain’s transition will help consolidate lawsuits alleging breach of contract
- Alcorn president launches new customer service task force
- Mississippi Film Studios signs contract with New Orleans company
- David Duval, former British Open winner, joins Sanderson Farms field
- MDOT cutting more than 40 jobs in Right-of-Way Division
- Mars Food expanding Delta plant; investing $31M and adding jobs
- Granddaughter of Barq's Root Beer founder dies at 90
- Board authorizes sale of company that owns Silver Slipper Casino