Commissioners toss coin to decide alderman election
Published: June 11,2013
RIENZI — Harold W. Palmer has won a coin toss and the election to an alderman’s post in Rienzi.
The Northeast Mississippi Daily Journal reports town officials learned this past week from the Secretary of State’s Office that the tie vote between Palmer, with 45 votes, and Melissa Bearden Morgan, 45 votes, had to be decided by a coin toss or a straw pull. A June 18 runoff election was canceled.
The town election commissioners held a coin toss, with two town citizens conducting the toss. The election commissioners chose heads for Palmer and tails for Bearden, with the coin landing on heads.
— Northeast Mississippi Daily Journal
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Longtime Biloxi mayor Holloway resigns
- Proposed ammo ban empties shelves
- DAVID DALLAS: Tax slasher productions comes to Mississippi
- (UPDATED — BREAKING NEWS) American Specialty Alloys won’t locate $1.2B mill in Mississippi
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years
- Status of some bills in the Mississippi Legislature
- ASA postmortem: industrial recruiting is a constant cycle of death and life
- Hattiesburg wastewater treatment system could cost $152M
- Events and Nominations