Commissioners toss coin to decide alderman election
Published: June 11,2013
RIENZI — Harold W. Palmer has won a coin toss and the election to an alderman’s post in Rienzi.
The Northeast Mississippi Daily Journal reports town officials learned this past week from the Secretary of State’s Office that the tie vote between Palmer, with 45 votes, and Melissa Bearden Morgan, 45 votes, had to be decided by a coin toss or a straw pull. A June 18 runoff election was canceled.
The town election commissioners held a coin toss, with two town citizens conducting the toss. The election commissioners chose heads for Palmer and tails for Bearden, with the coin landing on heads.
— Northeast Mississippi Daily Journal
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Travis retiring as head of Mississippi World Trade Center
- Pearl ordering rental properties to retrofit with sprinklers, build storm shelters
- Court rules board can discipline West Virginia radiologist
- Deer processors need to use caution to insure safe, tasty venison
- Drew Brees settles lawsuit alleging investment fraud
- Winchester lands $50M ammunition contract from Homeland Security
- Legislators begin work on FY2016 state budget
- Biloxi baseball project still alive but may be held for 2015
- Doctor convicted of using phony church for tax shelter