Commissioners toss coin to decide alderman election
Published: June 11,2013
RIENZI — Harold W. Palmer has won a coin toss and the election to an alderman’s post in Rienzi.
The Northeast Mississippi Daily Journal reports town officials learned this past week from the Secretary of State’s Office that the tie vote between Palmer, with 45 votes, and Melissa Bearden Morgan, 45 votes, had to be decided by a coin toss or a straw pull. A June 18 runoff election was canceled.
The town election commissioners held a coin toss, with two town citizens conducting the toss. The election commissioners chose heads for Palmer and tails for Bearden, with the coin landing on heads.
— Northeast Mississippi Daily Journal
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Outside group files arguments supporting McDaniel
- Court rules board can discipline West Virginia radiologist
- DAVID DALLAS: Mississippi's in'adequate' public schools
- MDEQ fines metalworking firm over hazardous waste
- Payday lender, fired executive exchanging blame for lender’s regulatory woes
- C Spire now offering new Blast Motion technology for athletes
- Mississippi no longer has highest unemployment rate in nation
- Mad Genius, Eyevox owner acquires Mississippi Film Studios
- Grain buyer’s bankruptcy could take steep toll on Delta farmers