Commissioners toss coin to decide alderman election
by Associated Press
Published: June 11,2013
RIENZI — Harold W. Palmer has won a coin toss and the election to an alderman’s post in Rienzi.
The Northeast Mississippi Daily Journal reports town officials learned this past week from the Secretary of State’s Office that the tie vote between Palmer, with 45 votes, and Melissa Bearden Morgan, 45 votes, had to be decided by a coin toss or a straw pull. A June 18 runoff election was canceled.
The town election commissioners held a coin toss, with two town citizens conducting the toss. The election commissioners chose heads for Palmer and tails for Bearden, with the coin landing on heads.
— Northeast Mississippi Daily Journal
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Omega Protein shifting vessels to Mississippi
- CARTOON — Nobile illustrates Thad Cochran's most significant advantage over the competition
- Bankrupt Simply Wheelz chooses prevailing bidder for assets
- Judge denies ex-mayor's motion to vacate Katrina-related conviction
- IKE TROTTER: There are primary changes in Social Security for 2014
- Wiseman retiring after nearly 30 years with Stennis Institute
- Real estate developer to plead guilty to wetlands violation
- PSC unanimously rejects Entergy-ITC proposed merger
- Alumni-couple donate $12.3M to Mississippi State
- Company mulling plan to build new pipeline