Repairs to closed bridge due to lack of MDOT funding
Published: June 12,2013
OXFORD — Repairs to the Taylor Creek Bridge on Mississippi Highway 328 in Lafayette County may not begin until October 2014 because of funding reductions to the Mississippi Department of Transportation.
The Oxford Eagle reports the timber deck and stringers on the bridge near the Taylor community had been damaged in the past two years. MDOT said it was forced to close the busy bridge to prevent any harm to motorists.
MDOT announced earlier this year that the state would replace all eight wooden bridges on Highway 328. MDOT had purchased land for the new wider bridges and the project was set to begin this month. The estimated cost for the new bridges is $9.1 million.
However, Mitch Turner of MDOT said the project was pushed back to 2014 due to budget cuts.
“The fact that this bridge has deteriorated to the point of our concern about the safety, we have but one thing to do and that is to close the bridge,” Turner said. “The fact that the bridge has closed will most likely have some effect on when this bridge will be replaced.”
He said MDOT engineers in Jackson will have to determine whether the bridge can be replaced sooner.
Turner said the state will continue to keep the public informed on when the bridge may be repaired.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- Officials set hunting dates for birds; expands dove season by 20 days
- Brandon man hauls in record 756-pound alligator
- Is cotton looking too good? Farmers facing weaker prices
- Woman found guilty of murder in buttocks injection case
- REVVING UP — Motorcars of Jackson is preparing to open its first-ever showroom on I-55
- FLIPPING OUT — Flipping houses is popular in much of the country, but in Mississippi ...
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years
- More than a dozen school districts sue state over funding
- MARTIN WILLOUGHBY: Mike Morgan has calmness of mind