Athletic conference honors Steve Knight
Steve Knight, athletics director and head men’s basketball coach at William Carey University, was named the Southern States Athletic Conference (SSAC) Athletic Director of the Year at the annual SSAC awards banquet. Knight, who began his coaching career as a graduate assistant coach at Carey in the spring of 1981 and became head men’s basketball coach in 1982, just completed his 31st season at WCU. In 1987, Knight took on dual responsibilities as WCU athletics director. In 2010, Knight earned the honor as the state of Mississippi’s all-time winningest coach at the same four-year institution. He currently is ranked 16th among NAIA all-time active coaches with 537 career wins. Knight’s Crusader teams have compiled 14 20-plus win seasons, captured six GCAC championships, six District 30 championships, one SSAC divisional title and have competed in seven NAIA national tournaments. Knight was named NAIA District 30 Coach of the Year three times, GCAC Coach of the Year five times, and has been named Clarion Ledger Mississippi Coach of the Year twice. In 2002-2003, he served his coaching colleagues as president of the NABC-NAIA Men’s Basketball Coaches Association. He was also named the GCAC Athletics Director of the Year four times, selected as the NAIA Region XIII Athletic Director of the Year in 2003-2004, and as General Sports Turf Systems Athletics Director of the Year – NAIA Southeast Region.
Knight earned his B.S. from the University of Southern Mississippi in 1979 and his M.Ed. from Carey in 1982. Since 1996 Knight has served as an assistant professor for physical education at Carey. He has been married to wife, Regina, for 32 years, and they have two daughters, Shanna and Lindsay, and three grandsons, Christian, Brayden and Jackson.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Still planning that summer vacation?
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Study: Mississippi has highest sales tax rate in U.S.
- Panther Creek megasite — Putting a value proposition out there
- Mississippi State makes NSF ranking of research universities
- Tallahatchie General’s listing on auditor’s ‘watchline’ an image set back, CEO says
- TVA president/CEO Johnson tours Techumseh, Yokohama plants
- Chris McDaniel responds to radio show audio clip
- Ex-city worker arrested on false pretense charge
- Kelly Boutwell added, Jason Word promoted at MEC
- Panther Creek's location in medical industry zone boosts bio-med prospects
- Cotton to take center stage during MSU summit