VA adds to staff as part of White House initiative
Published: June 16,2013
JACKSON — The G.V. “Sonny” Montgomery Veterans Affairs Medical Center in Jackson has added 30 new mental health professionals.
President Barack Obama has set a goal of adding 1,600 providers in the nation’s 152 VA medical centers.
Jackson VA Medical Center Director Joe Battle says in a statement that the hirings include four marriage and family therapists and three licensed professional counselors. Both fields are new at the Jackson VA.
The Department of Veterans Affairs has put an increased focus on mental health services for veterans over the last few years.
The VA set a goal of 14 days for patients to wait for a mental health appointment. The average wait for Jackson’s center was slightly more than 20 days, according to VA figures from the first six months of FY 2011.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- UMMC reaching out after death of high school football player
- Former Godwin CEO Danny Mitchell dies at 66
- MDOT: Work on I-269 is on schedule, several phases at halfway point
- Margaritaville owner files for bankruptcy before landlord hearing
- Delta Council says condition of Highway 6 'of crisis dimensions'
- Northrop Grumman lands $354M Air Force contract for Global Hawks
- BLAKE WILSON: Danny Mitchell was a remarkable business leader, a better friend
- Severstal completes the sale of Columbus plant to Steel Dynamics
- Another marker going up on Mississippi Country Music Trail