Hospitals suing Blue Cross, allege reduced payments
by MBJ Staff
Published: June 20,2013
ACROSS MISSISSIPPI — Ten Mississippi hospitals have filed a lawsuit against Blue Cross Blue Shield of Mississippi alleging the insurer wrongfully reduced inpatient payments it was obligated to make for medical services rendered to patients.
This is according to a news release from Health Management Associates Inc. (HMA).
The lawsuit, which was filed in the Circuit Court of Hinds County, alleges Blue Cross Blue Shield of Mississippi breached its contracts with the hospitals by failing to pay the hospitals in accordance with the terms of those contracts. The hospitals also contend Blue Cross Blue Shield acted in bad faith by slipping payment changes into its Policy Manual instead of attempting to negotiate those payment changes.
The lawsuit seeks to recover more than $13 million in alleged underpayments by Blue Cross Blue Shield of Mississippi plus declaratory relief preventing the insurance company from unilaterally changing the terms of its contracts with hospitals.
The hospitals that filed the suit are Central Mississippi Medical Center in Jackson, Biloxi Regional Medical Center in Biloxi, Crossgates River Oaks Hospital in Brandon, Gilmore Regional Medical Center in Amory, Madison River Oaks Medical Center in Canton, Natchez Community Hospital in Natchez, Northwest Mississippi Regional Medical Center in Clarksdale, River Oaks Hospital in Flowood, Tri-Lakes Medical Center in Batesville and Woman’s Hospital in Flowood.
The hospitals are represented by Hooper Lundy & Bookman, P.C. and Copeland, Cook, Taylor & Bush.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Still planning that summer vacation?
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- BBB issues warning involving asphalt paving scam
- Panther Creek megasite — Putting a value proposition out there
- Prescription for success — Transcript Pharmacy continues fast growth
- Study: Mississippi has highest sales tax rate in U.S.
- Mississippi State makes NSF ranking of research universities
- Panther Creek's location in medical industry zone boosts bio-med prospects
- TVA president/CEO Johnson tours Techumseh, Yokohama plants
- News The Way You Want It!
- Chris McDaniel responds to radio show audio clip
- Sawtimber, pulpwood markets improving, but challenges remain