Founder of iconic restaurant to be honored by Marty Stuart
by Associated Press
Published: June 24,2013
PHILADELPHIA — The founder of a popular Neshoba County restaurant is about to be honored by a well-known country musician.
WTOK in Meridian reports Peggy Webb, founder of Peggy’s restaurant in Philadelphia, will be recognized during Marty Stuart’s performance at the Ellis Theater in Philadelphia on Friday night.
Webb opened Peggy’s in 1961 and stayed until her retirement 10 years ago, letting her son take over.
Webb says she has known Stuart — who is also from Philadelphia — since he was two years old. She says Stuart hasn’t given her many details about what to expect at Friday night’s show.
“He just told me to show up and be myself and he would take care of the rest of it,” Webb said. “So, that’s what I plan to do.”
Webb keeps herself busy by looking after her five grandchildren and six great-grandchildren. She says she does her best to stay away from the restaurant — though it’s hard sometimes.
“I’ve had that itch all the time,” Webb said. “My husband’s health got so bad that that was the main reason for retiring. If it wasn’t for that, I’d probably still be down there.”
Friday’s show will be recorded for RFD-TV’s “The Marty Stuart Show,” according to Stuart’s website.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Still planning that summer vacation?
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Panther Creek megasite — Putting a value proposition out there
- BBB issues warning involving asphalt paving scam
- Prescription for success — Transcript Pharmacy continues fast growth
- Study: Mississippi has highest sales tax rate in U.S.
- Panther Creek's location in medical industry zone boosts bio-med prospects
- Mississippi State makes NSF ranking of research universities
- TVA president/CEO Johnson tours Techumseh, Yokohama plants
- Sawtimber, pulpwood markets improving, but challenges remain
- News The Way You Want It!
- Chris McDaniel responds to radio show audio clip