MBJ wins General Excellence, 14 total awards at MPA newspaper convention
by Ross Reily
Published: June 24,2013
The Mississippi Business Journal won 14 awards, including the General Excellence award during the weekend in the Mississippi Press Association Better Newspaper Award convention at The Beau Rivage in Biloxi.
It was the second time in three years the MBJ has won the General Excellence award.
Staff writer Ted Carter won a first place in the prized Investigative Journalism category for his work on the story — EMPIRE CRUMBLES — Tri-State Brick and Tile falls into shambles as family fights over control.
Carter also won a first place award in the Personality Portrait category for his look at Ridgeland business owner Libby Story.
Editor Ross Reily won a first place for his collection of work in the category of Commentary Columns, including his column on former Southaven Mayor Greg Davis.
MBJ staff writer Frank Brown won a first place for Best Graphic for work done on an end-of-the year series of stories.
Production director Tacy Rayburn and Reily won a first place for Best Design for overall design of the newspaper.
Also, contributing photographer Deryll Stegall won a first place for Personality Portrait for photos taken of Libby Story.
Second and third place awards are listed below:
» Second Place — Best Commentary Column — Ted Carter
» Second Place — Best Special Section — MBJ Staff
» Second Place — Best Website — MBJ Staff
» Second Place — Best Magazine — MBJ Staff
» Third Place — Best Picture-Story Combination — Deryll Stegall and Amy McCullough
» Third Place — Best Special Section — MBJ Staff
» Third Place — Best Magazine — MBJ staff
Contest entries were from newspapers in Mississippi for work published in 2012.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- (UPDATE) Prison won’t interrupt ex-prison chief’s retirement cash flow
- JOSH MABUS — Inbound marketing is fueled by wishful thinking
- Kemper plant employee gag order continued
- Ex-prison boss and businessman admit to bribery scheme
- WRESTLING SUCCESS — Ted DiBiase Jr. leaves ring to become entrepreneur
- The leadership styles of President Obama
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years
- MARTIN WILLOUGHBY — Doug Dale’s self-awareness helps lift him to top of his game
- ASA postmortem: industrial recruiting is a constant cycle of death and life
- Two new casinos like the odds on Mississippi Gulf Coast