Losing mayoral candidate challenges DuPree’s victory in Hub City
Published: June 25,2013
HATTIESBURG — Mayoral candidate Dave Ware has filed a petition of contest, challenging Hattiesburg Mayor Johnny DuPree’s victory in the June 4 mayoral election.
Ware lost by 37 votes, according to the certified election results.
The Hattiesburg American reports the petition alleges voting irregularities that include instances of disenfranchised felons voting in the election.
On the last day that he was eligible to do so, Ware filed petitions yesterday in the circuit courts of Lamar and Forrest counties.
DuPree won the absentee ballot count by 110 votes, according to the petition.
DuPree said he had not yet read the petition and needed time to digest its contents before commenting.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Ridgeland property rights tussle is expected to have wide impact
- Host families prepare for Mississippi Braves’ season
- JOSH MABUS — Mississippi’s Healthcare: Not a quality problem, a marketing problem
- Mississippi takes an incentives licking, keeps on ticking
- Investors in Northbrook complex say Ridgeland targeting its own collateral for demolition
- AWAITING ITS FATE: Gables complex may have to shrink to meet law
- HUNTER ARNOLD: Mississippi, Gulf Coast states focus on global business markets
- PHIL HARDWICK: When will Mississippi change its culture?
- Mississippi furniture makers on rebound with more exports