Losing mayoral candidate challenges DuPree’s victory in Hub City
Published: June 25,2013
HATTIESBURG — Mayoral candidate Dave Ware has filed a petition of contest, challenging Hattiesburg Mayor Johnny DuPree’s victory in the June 4 mayoral election.
Ware lost by 37 votes, according to the certified election results.
The Hattiesburg American reports the petition alleges voting irregularities that include instances of disenfranchised felons voting in the election.
On the last day that he was eligible to do so, Ware filed petitions yesterday in the circuit courts of Lamar and Forrest counties.
DuPree won the absentee ballot count by 110 votes, according to the petition.
DuPree said he had not yet read the petition and needed time to digest its contents before commenting.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- A BIG CHANGE: New mortgage rules seen bringing increase in pricey mobile home loans
- Analyst: KiOR Columbus plant may end up sold as scrap
- Warden who lives hundreds of miles from jail resigns
- Ex-MDEQ leader Fisher joins Butler Snow
- Jail kitchen supervisor pleads guilty to stealing food
- WILLOUGHBY: Bernie Reed cites hard work as key to success of Reed’s Metals
- (UPDATE) Gov. Bryant: $1.2 billion aluminum plant is a very exciting proposition for the state of Mississippi
- Hunting-weapons legislation passes House
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years