KEEPING OUR EYE ON: Kyle Wood
Name: Kyle Wood
Company: Quick Computer Fix
Kyle Wood says people are often shocked to learn that his major was in music education with an emphasis in percussion.
“I spent countless late hours in the basement of the Southern Miss Performing Arts Center practicing marimba and vibraphone,” he says.
Today, Wood shows the same enthusiasm for his tech-challenged customers. “I am constantly reading, researching, and problem-solving. I don’t want to get left behind or become stagnant with what I know,” he says. “My personality — with music — and with computers has always been to be an independent learner.”
The son of a Radio Shack manager, Wood grew up in Jackson and Bryam and began working in IT for Yates Construction during his college summers. He founded Quick Computer Fix after graduating from the University of Southern Mississippi and offers remote or on-site assistance for issues ranging from office servers and printers to data backup/recovery and virus removal.
“I would say experience is your best teacher,” Wood advises young professionals. “Hands on, independent learning and time spent researching is the most effective way to be the best at what you do with computers and probably most anything else.”
Wood and his wife, Megan, live in Ridgeland with their new baby, Catherine Ann. When he’s not doing daddy duties, Wood enjoys playing on his drum band and catching up on DVR episodes.
Heroes or mentors: “It was my dad who really brought technology into my life. I never thought computer geeks were uncool.”
Best thing about Mississippi: “Everybody knows somebody and the people here put a lot of trust in word-of-mouth recommendations.”
Best Mississippi event: Pepsi Pops at the Rez
Favorite Mississippi food: Pecan pie
First job ever: Sno-Biz
Favorite hangout spots: Cups
Favorite TV show: “The Mentalist”
Favorite movie: “A Beautiful Mind”
Favorite music: David Bazan
What’s the future of technology: “Maybe one day I’ll be removing the virus from the robotic housekeeper who failed to sort the laundry correctly.”
Twitter handle: @mrkylewood
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Chris McDaniel gets a thank you note from Travis Childers
- Senate passes teacher pay raise legislation
- Lawmakers debating alternative to Medicaid expansion
- Pickering collects more money from failed beef plant project
- The First acquiring Alabama bank in cash/stock deal
- Todd Smith's Spin Cycle — Not milk! It’s end of era for milk industry’s iconic ‘Got Milk?’ campaign
- States settle with manufacturers in DRAM price-fixing case
- District at Eastover takes shape with financing in place, tenant signings under way
- MBJ's Businesswoman of the Year never expected her career to take this path
- Mississippi ag aviation plays a critical role in production and profitability