Aubrey Lucas to receive education award
by MBJ Staff
Published: July 5,2013
The 2013 Winter-Reed Partnership Award will be presented to Dr. Aubrey K. Lucas, president emeritus and professor of higher education at the University of Southern Mississippi, during a tribute dinner Oct. 1 at Lake Terrace Convention Center in Hattiesburg. In 1975, Lucas became the sixth president of his alma mater, Southern Miss, launching an era of unprecedented growth and transformation for the university. Over the course of his 22-year tenure, he led the formation of the Teaching and Learning Resource Center, the Center for International Education, the Polymer Science Institute and the Institute for Learning in Retirement. A founding member of the Mississippi Institute of Arts and Letters, Dr. Lucas was a champion of the university’s arts and music programs and twice served as interim president, in 2001 and 2012. Before leading Southern Miss, Dr. Lucas was president of Delta State University and an instructor at Hinds Community College. He also served as the state’s Interim Commissioner of Higher Education from October 2008 to July 2009.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- DAVID DALLAS — Cannabis for the rest of us
- MARTY WISEMAN: The current racial strife and the failure to educate
- BILL CRAWFORD: Boyce takes hot spot as IHL commissioner
- Source: Bryant has offered Glenn McCullough MDA job
- Planters Bank promotes at 3 locations
- COMMERCIAL FINANCE 701: Loans disguised as government bonds (BOANs)
- (WITH VIDEO) Funding secured for Capitol Art Lofts in downtown Jackson
- Real Estate Forum panelists: Lenders, investors hungry for deals on residential rentals in Miss., elsewhere
- WRESTLING SUCCESS — Ted DiBiase Jr. leaves ring to become entrepreneur