Aubrey Lucas to receive education award
by MBJ Staff
Published: July 5,2013
The 2013 Winter-Reed Partnership Award will be presented to Dr. Aubrey K. Lucas, president emeritus and professor of higher education at the University of Southern Mississippi, during a tribute dinner Oct. 1 at Lake Terrace Convention Center in Hattiesburg. In 1975, Lucas became the sixth president of his alma mater, Southern Miss, launching an era of unprecedented growth and transformation for the university. Over the course of his 22-year tenure, he led the formation of the Teaching and Learning Resource Center, the Center for International Education, the Polymer Science Institute and the Institute for Learning in Retirement. A founding member of the Mississippi Institute of Arts and Letters, Dr. Lucas was a champion of the university’s arts and music programs and twice served as interim president, in 2001 and 2012. Before leading Southern Miss, Dr. Lucas was president of Delta State University and an instructor at Hinds Community College. He also served as the state’s Interim Commissioner of Higher Education from October 2008 to July 2009.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Mississippi Economic Council
Mississippi Chambers of Commerce
Mississippi State Legislature
Mississippi Development Authority
Mississippi Economic Development Council
North Mississippi News
Social Security Disability Lawyer
Auto Accidents Lawyer
Top Posts & Pages
- Aluminum company rumored for Columbus: 'clock' is for website, not plant site
- Shale oil: market correction or longterm direction?
- Miss. surgeon sentenced in tax evasion case
- MBJ exclusive: Jackson’s new airport CEO fulfills desire to taking on the top job
- MARTIN WILLOUGHBY: Gary Herring building tomorrow by educating today
- 'Blue Economy' important for Mississippi's future
- J.McLaughlin to open in Highland Village next spring
- WILLOUGHBY: Mayo Flynt leads AT&T Mississippi by enjoying both work and workers
- Hyatt-Place is Columbus’ newest hotel option