River traffic interrupted after tugboat sinks; owner of boat still unknown
Published: July 8,2013
MISSISSIPPI RIVER — One-way traffic is moving on the Mississippi River while crews search for a sunken tugboat.
Although 15 ships were waiting to travel upriver at one point today, Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer Bobby Nash says the queue had been cleared by late morning
Authorities don’t know why the 48-foot tugboat called “C-Pec” sank Saturday, or who owns it. A good Samaritan rescued both people on board. Petty Officer Carlos Vega says the Coast Guard doesn’t have their names.
The 10 miles starting at the river’s mouth were closed until Sunday night. The Coast Guard says it is unclear when two-way traffic will resume.
The cruise ship Carnival Conquest was diverted to Mobile, Ala. Its passengers are being bused from New Orleans to Alabama.
Carnival’s Elation arrived in New Orleans today and was to leave that evening.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- David Duval, former British Open winner, joins Sanderson Farms field
- Court rules against Greenwood councilwoman; must give up office
- NEW IN MADISON COUNTY — Mississippi Bio-Medical Business Collaboratory to be introduced Friday
- Cochran continues to reach out to African American voters
- Alcorn president launches new customer service task force
- ‘Little Boogaloo’ Eden Brent happy singing the blues
- Turner Grain’s bankruptcy will help consolidate lawsuits alleging breach of contract
- Hole-by-hole look at Sanderson Farms Championship course at CCJ
- Senators write letter over Waters of the United States proposal