Senators push Brown’s nomination for federal judge
by MBJ Staff
Published: July 11,2013
WASHINGTON, D.C. – U.S. Sen. Thad Cochran (R-Miss.) is recommending Debra Brown of Jackson, who has been nominated to be a U.S. District Court Judge for the Northern District of Mississippi.
Cochran made his recommendation while introducing Brown at her nomination hearing before the Senate Judiciary Committee.
“Debra Brown is very well qualified by ability, education and experience to serve as a United States district court judge,” Cochran said. “It is a personal pleasure to be before the committee today and to express my confidence that she will reflect great credit and serve with distinction as a member of the United States federal judiciary.”
If approved by the committee and confirmed by the Senate, Brown, a Yazoo City native, would fill the vacancy created with the death of Judge Allen Pepper. She would also become the first African American female federal district judge in Mississippi, and one of two female district court judges in the state.
U.S. Sen. Roger Wicker (R-Miss.) also recommended confirmation of Brown.
“Judge Brown will be an outstanding addition to the federal bench,” Wicker said. “She has represented accomplishment and excellence her entire life. Ms. Brown will be good for the country and the people of Mississippi.”
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- UMMC reaching out after death of high school football player
- UPDATED: Jackson agrees to repay HUD $1.5 million for Farish Street blunders
- Gov. Bryant intervening in same-sex couple's divorce
- Vicksburg mayor marries during lunch break
- City leaders vote against offering insurance to one adult, possibly same-sex partner
- School superintendent says he never intended to hire wife's uncle, but recommended him
- Mississippi River mayors announce 'seed money' for waterfront developments
- Biloxi baseball project still alive but may be held for 2015
- MDOT: Work on I-269 is on schedule, several phases at halfway point