Senators push Brown’s nomination for federal judge
by MBJ Staff
Published: July 11,2013
WASHINGTON, D.C. – U.S. Sen. Thad Cochran (R-Miss.) is recommending Debra Brown of Jackson, who has been nominated to be a U.S. District Court Judge for the Northern District of Mississippi.
Cochran made his recommendation while introducing Brown at her nomination hearing before the Senate Judiciary Committee.
“Debra Brown is very well qualified by ability, education and experience to serve as a United States district court judge,” Cochran said. “It is a personal pleasure to be before the committee today and to express my confidence that she will reflect great credit and serve with distinction as a member of the United States federal judiciary.”
If approved by the committee and confirmed by the Senate, Brown, a Yazoo City native, would fill the vacancy created with the death of Judge Allen Pepper. She would also become the first African American female federal district judge in Mississippi, and one of two female district court judges in the state.
U.S. Sen. Roger Wicker (R-Miss.) also recommended confirmation of Brown.
“Judge Brown will be an outstanding addition to the federal bench,” Wicker said. “She has represented accomplishment and excellence her entire life. Ms. Brown will be good for the country and the people of Mississippi.”
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- Brandon man hauls in record 756-pound alligator
- McDaniel delays decision on whether to appeal dismissal of lawsuit
- FLIPPING OUT — Flipping houses is popular in much of the country, but in Mississippi ...
- More than a dozen school districts sue state over funding
- REVVING UP — Motorcars of Jackson is preparing to open its first-ever showroom on I-55
- Jackson to get C Spire's high-speed internet
- Is cotton looking too good? Farmers facing weaker prices
- New York firm buying majority interest in Tupelo mall, shopping center
- Bryant issues executive order to establish Delta water task force