Senators push Brown’s nomination for federal judge
by MBJ Staff
Published: July 11,2013
WASHINGTON, D.C. – U.S. Sen. Thad Cochran (R-Miss.) is recommending Debra Brown of Jackson, who has been nominated to be a U.S. District Court Judge for the Northern District of Mississippi.
Cochran made his recommendation while introducing Brown at her nomination hearing before the Senate Judiciary Committee.
“Debra Brown is very well qualified by ability, education and experience to serve as a United States district court judge,” Cochran said. “It is a personal pleasure to be before the committee today and to express my confidence that she will reflect great credit and serve with distinction as a member of the United States federal judiciary.”
If approved by the committee and confirmed by the Senate, Brown, a Yazoo City native, would fill the vacancy created with the death of Judge Allen Pepper. She would also become the first African American female federal district judge in Mississippi, and one of two female district court judges in the state.
U.S. Sen. Roger Wicker (R-Miss.) also recommended confirmation of Brown.
“Judge Brown will be an outstanding addition to the federal bench,” Wicker said. “She has represented accomplishment and excellence her entire life. Ms. Brown will be good for the country and the people of Mississippi.”
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Mississippi Economic Council
Mississippi Chambers of Commerce
Mississippi State Legislature
Mississippi Development Authority
Mississippi Economic Development Council
North Mississippi News
Social Security Disability Lawyer
Auto Accidents Lawyer
Top Posts & Pages
- Aluminum company rumored for Columbus: 'clock' is for website, not plant site
- Shale oil: market correction or longterm direction?
- Miss. surgeon sentenced in tax evasion case
- MBJ exclusive: Jackson’s new airport CEO fulfills desire to taking on the top job
- WILLOUGHBY: Mayo Flynt leads AT&T Mississippi by enjoying both work and workers
- MARTIN WILLOUGHBY: Gary Herring building tomorrow by educating today
- 'Blue Economy' important for Mississippi's future
- Hyatt-Place is Columbus’ newest hotel option
- J.McLaughlin to open in Highland Village next spring