Senators push Brown’s nomination for federal judge
by MBJ Staff
Published: July 11,2013
WASHINGTON, D.C. – U.S. Sen. Thad Cochran (R-Miss.) is recommending Debra Brown of Jackson, who has been nominated to be a U.S. District Court Judge for the Northern District of Mississippi.
Cochran made his recommendation while introducing Brown at her nomination hearing before the Senate Judiciary Committee.
“Debra Brown is very well qualified by ability, education and experience to serve as a United States district court judge,” Cochran said. “It is a personal pleasure to be before the committee today and to express my confidence that she will reflect great credit and serve with distinction as a member of the United States federal judiciary.”
If approved by the committee and confirmed by the Senate, Brown, a Yazoo City native, would fill the vacancy created with the death of Judge Allen Pepper. She would also become the first African American female federal district judge in Mississippi, and one of two female district court judges in the state.
U.S. Sen. Roger Wicker (R-Miss.) also recommended confirmation of Brown.
“Judge Brown will be an outstanding addition to the federal bench,” Wicker said. “She has represented accomplishment and excellence her entire life. Ms. Brown will be good for the country and the people of Mississippi.”
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- R.J. Allen ranked as fastest-growing company in Mississippi
- Tragedy for Jackson Prep: Football player Walker Wilbanks dies
- Officials set hunting dates for birds; expands dove season by 20 days
- Senate election ballot approved as McDaniel's challenge continues
- Judge moves McDaniel's lawsuit challenging loss to Cochran
- DAVID DALLAS — Mississippi needs one university
- TECH 21 — Mississippi's most wanted in technology
- Inspectors find 'hot work' was cause of fatal explosion at fish plant
- Ground broken for new Hattiesburg Clinic facility