KEEPING OUR EYE ON: Erika Roberts
Published: July 12,2013
Name: Erika Roberts
Position: Community Relations Specialist
Company: National Civilian Community Corps
Erika Roberts has a passion for community building and gets to do exactly that as a recruiter, promoter and relationship builder for the AmeriCorps National Civilian Community Corps in Vicksburg.
The NCCC is a federal community service program for young adults across the country and Roberts’ Vicksburg campus is comprised of 400 members currently serving in 11 states. In addition to spreading the word about the group, Roberts also helped oversee the nation’s first FEMA Corps class at its graduation last month. Members gained experience helping victims following Hurricane Isaac and the devastating Hattiesburg tornado.
“NCCC is a great opportunity for young people to make a difference helping people,” Roberts says. The program is also a good resume builder and even offers money for college.
A native of Shreveport, La., Roberts earned a journalism degree from Louisiana State University and spent the next twenty years in a variety of state and private PR and HR positions.
Roberts and her husband live in Clinton and enjoy volunteering with Jackson Inner-City Gardeners, walking and spending time with their four athletic children.
Roberts advises young professionals to always do their best regardless of the significance of their job. “Shine like you’ve never shined before,” she says. “Unwrap and use the breadth of your talents and skills… Doors will open.”
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- ANITA MODAK-TRURAN — Mississippi’s motion picture renaissance
- Entergy gives solar a shot
- Challenging times ahead for Pearl’s manufactured home residents, apartment complex owners
- Critics say Pearl out to eliminate mobile homes and apartments – not safeguard them
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years
- WRESTLING SUCCESS — Ted DiBiase Jr. leaves ring to become entrepreneur
- State Sen. McDaniel traveling Mississippi to promote PAC
- Despite obstacles, craft beer industry growing
- (VIDEO) DON GLIDEWELL — The threat of cyber crime to businesses is real