BP launches hotline to report fraudulent oil spill claims
Published: July 15,2013
Tags: 5th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, accident, BP, Christine Reitano, claim, court, crime, disaster, disaster recovery, environment, fatality, FBI, fraud, Gulf Coast, Gulf Coast Claims Facility, gulf of mexico, hotline, legal, Lionel H. Sutton III, offshore drilling, Oil, oil rig, oil spill, Patrick Juneau, restaurant, seafood, tourism, tourist, U.S. District Judge Carl Barbier, visitor
GULF COAST — BP has set up a hotline for people to report alleged fraud involving claims arising from the company’s massive 2010 oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico.
Today’s launch of the hotline comes a week after a federal appeals court heard BP’s argument that it has been forced to pay hundreds of millions of dollars in settlement money to businesses with inflated or fictitious claims. A three-judge panel from the 5th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals didn’t indicate how soon it would rule in the case.
Earlier this month, a federal judge appointed former FBI Director Louis Freeh to investigate alleged misconduct by a lawyer who helped administer BP’s multibillion-dollar settlement with Gulf Coast residents and businesses.
Court-appointed claims administrator Patrick Juneau announced in June that his office is investigating allegations that an attorney on his staff, Lionel H. Sutton III, received a portion of settlement proceeds for claims he had referred to a law firm before he started working on the settlement program. Sutton resigned on June 21, a day after Juneau delivered a report to U.S. District Judge Carl Barbier that outlined the allegations.
Sutton’s wife, Christine Reitano, also worked as a lawyer for the settlement program, but her contract was terminated on June 26, according to a report from Juneau to Barbier dated July 2. The report doesn’t specify a reason for the termination of Reitano’s contract.
In a statement today, BP claimed Juneau’s office has spent “substantially less” on anti-fraud efforts than the Gulf Coast Claims Facility, which processed and paid claims before Barbier appointed Juneau last year to take over and administer the settlement program.
“This seems inappropriate given that the GCCF’s fraud detection program enabled it to identify more than 7,000 claims as ‘multi-claimant scams or even efforts at criminal fraud,’” the BP statement says. “The GCCF referred more than half of these to the U.S. Department of Justice for criminal investigation.”
A spokesman for Juneau didn’t immediately respond to an email seeking comment.
BP said calls to the hotline can be anonymous and could entitle a caller to a reward if a tip leads to an indictment, recovery of money or denial of a claim.
The company said it will review the allegations to determine whether to report them to fraud investigators with Juneau’s office or law-enforcement agencies.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- UMMC reaching out after death of high school football player
- MDOT: Work on I-269 is on schedule, several phases at halfway point
- Margaritaville owner files for bankruptcy before landlord hearing
- City leaders vote against offering insurance to one adult, possibly same-sex partner
- Delta Council says condition of Highway 6 'of crisis dimensions'
- Gov. Bryant intervening in same-sex couple's divorce
- Vicksburg mayor marries during lunch break
- Severstal completes the sale of Columbus plant to Steel Dynamics
- Another marker going up on Mississippi Country Music Trail