Company uses ‘bridge plug’ on Gulf gas well
Published: July 15,2013
GULF OF MEXICO — A well that seeped natural gas for several days last week has been temporarily plugged, with work still needed to plug it permanently, federal regulators say.
The Bureau of Safety and Environmental Enforcement said today that Energy Resource Technology, LLC used a “bridge plug” to isolate the lower part of the well about 75 miles off Louisiana’s coast.
The inactive well began leaking late July 9 while the company was trying to plug it permanently. Drilling fluid pumped into the well on Thursday stopped the flow of natural gas and the oil-water mixture called condensate.
The bureau’s news release did not say when ERT installed the plug or estimate how much gas and condensate leaked from the well. Spokeswoman Eileen Angelico said she could not provide additional information.
BSEE will review remaining work and investigate why the well began leaking, the news release said. It said the investigation “will include a meeting with ERT to discuss their preparation and operational procedures associated with this incident as well as their overall performance as an operator on the Outer Continental Shelf.”
The well is one of three on a platform in 144 feet of water. Its owner, Talos Energy of Houston, said production from the other two wells was shut down after the leak was found today. A small number of workers on the platform were safely evacuated.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- (UPDATE) Prison won’t interrupt ex-prison chief’s retirement cash flow
- 2014 a good year for filmmaking in Mississippi
- JOSH MABUS — Inbound marketing is fueled by wishful thinking
- MARTIN WILLOUGHBY — Doug Dale’s self-awareness helps lift him to top of his game
- PHIL HARDWICK: When Bill Cooley talks, people listen
- Ex-prison boss and businessman admit to bribery scheme
- MBJ Business Woman of the Year Top 10
- Kemper plant employee gag order continued
- ASA postmortem: industrial recruiting is a constant cycle of death and life