Confidence up among Coast CEOs, business owners
by MBJ Staff
Published: July 15,2013
Tags: business owner, CEO, CEO and Business Owners Confidence, Chief Executive Officer, confidence, economy, employee, employer, employment, Gulf Coast Business Council, Gulf Coast Business Council Research Foundation, hire, Jack Norris, job, Mississippi Gulf Coast, report, staffing, study, survey, work, worker
MISSISSIPPI GULF COAST — The Gulf Coast Business Council Research Foundation has released its quarterly CEO and Business Owners Confidence report for the second quarter of 2013, and the numbers are encouraging.
“Our CEO’s and business owners have not expressed this level of confidence in the local economy since the first quarter of 2011,” said Jack Norris, president of the Gulf Coast Business Council.
Highlights of the study include:
• The overall measure of business confidence on the Mississippi Gulf Coast improved to 61 in the second quarter of 2013, up from 58 in the first quarter. A score of 50 would indicate respondents felt the economy was neither improving nor worsening.
• When asked about the current economy — as compared to the previous six months — the index reached its highest level in the six years which the survey has been administered with a score of 65.
• Notably, while respondents noted that the economy within their respective industry was improving, they were not as confident about their own industry as they were the overall economy.
• The sales tax base continues to grow, reinforcing the respondents’ collective opinion that the current economy on the Mississippi Gulf Coast is improving.
• Compared to recent surveys, a greater percentage of respondents (28%) indicated plans to bring on additional staff in the next six months.
The confidence survey was administered June 17 – June 28, 2013. Members of the Chambers of Commerce that serve all three counties of the Mississippi Gulf Coast as well as members of the Gulf Coast Business Council were surveyed. The respondents totaled 81.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
One Response to “Confidence up among Coast CEOs, business owners”
Top Posts & Pages
- Prison-contract task force working in wake of Epps' indictment
- Bryant wants free tuition for students with technical diploma
- Investigators find massive Ag Museum fire was an accident
- Analyst: KiOR Columbus plant may end up sold as scrap
- Former MDEQ Executive Director Trudy Fisher joins Butler Snow
- (UPDATE) Gov. Bryant: $1.2 billion aluminum plant is a very exciting proposition for the state of Mississippi
- DAVID DALLAS: Savor this Thanksgiving and be grateful
- WILLOUGHBY: Bernie Reed cites hard work as key to success of Reed’s Metals
- BankPlus recognized for alternative program to payday lending