Agency receives 20 bids for recreational fishing boats
by Associated Press
Published: July 16,2013
Tags: auction, bid, Bill Walker, boat, Department of Marine Resources, fishing boat, marine, Melissa Scallan, misappropriation, Mississippi Marine Resources Foundation, recreation, recreational, research, state agency
BILOXI — The Department of Marine Resources has received 20 bids for two recreational fishing boats it wants to sell.
Spokeswoman Melissa Scallan tells The Sun Herald the bids will be open today at the Commission on Marine Resources meeting in Biloxi. Scallan says officials will review the bids for about a week and could sell the boats as early as next week.
The DMR received the boats from a foundation started by former executive director Bill Walker. DMR leased the boats from the Mississippi Marine Resources Foundation for several years and spent more than $1.4 million for equipment and repairs on the boats, the 42-foot Californian and the 36-foot Topaz.
A lot of the equipment — all of the electronics — has been removed from the boats.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Alumni-couple donate $12.3M to Mississippi State
- IKE TROTTER: There are primary changes in Social Security for 2014
- MAN OF STEEL: Madhu Ranade leading Severstal Columbus
- Town given Obamacare insurance break, but faces additional costs in 2015
- Expert on airlines predicts Jackson-Evers will keep remaining carriers
- TRIP releases report on state's crumbling roads, bridges
- Butler Snow Advisory Services adds Jimmy Bailey
- C Spire launches next phase of 1-gig service rollout
- MDA to lead delegation on mission to Europe
- Public meeting called to mull future of convention center