Agency receives 20 bids for recreational fishing boats
Published: July 16,2013
Tags: auction, bid, Bill Walker, boat, Department of Marine Resources, fishing boat, marine, Melissa Scallan, misappropriation, Mississippi Marine Resources Foundation, recreation, recreational, research, state agency
BILOXI — The Department of Marine Resources has received 20 bids for two recreational fishing boats it wants to sell.
Spokeswoman Melissa Scallan tells The Sun Herald the bids will be open today at the Commission on Marine Resources meeting in Biloxi. Scallan says officials will review the bids for about a week and could sell the boats as early as next week.
The DMR received the boats from a foundation started by former executive director Bill Walker. DMR leased the boats from the Mississippi Marine Resources Foundation for several years and spent more than $1.4 million for equipment and repairs on the boats, the 42-foot Californian and the 36-foot Topaz.
A lot of the equipment — all of the electronics — has been removed from the boats.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- TECH 21 — Mississippi's most wanted in technology
- Circuit clerks question how to get records to McDaniel's trial
- PEDIGREE dog food recalled; might contain metal fragments
- Officials set hunting dates for birds; expands dove season by 20 days
- R.J. Allen ranked as fastest-growing company in Mississippi
- Judicial candidates put on ballot after rejection of challenges
- DAVID DALLAS — Mississippi needs one university
- Tragedy for Jackson Prep: Football player Walker Wilbanks dies
- Judge expected to rule today on McDaniel's challenge of loss to Cochran