Atmos Energy gets approval to buy natural gas system
by MBJ Staff
Published: July 16,2013
ARTESIA — Public Service Commissioner Brandon Presley has signed an order approving the sale and transfer of the Town of Artesia’s natural gas system to Atmos Energy Corporation.
Terms were not disclosed.
According to a press release from Presley’s office, the Mississippi Public Service Commission action will result in a 49 percent rate reduction for residents of the Lowndes County town. A typical Artesia residential customer will see their bill drop from $35.65 monthly to $18.16 while commercial customers’ bills will drop from $111.15 to $46.58. Large users of natural gas will also see a reduction from a typical $452.61 to $336.01.
“Anytime you can cut customers’ rates, you need to do it. This is a win-win situation for the Town of Artesia, its residents and Atmos Energy.” Presley said.
Atmos Energy was expected to begin various testing and operational procedures in the Town of Artesia yesterday.
The Artesia natural gas system has 60 customers.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- A BIG CHANGE: New mortgage rules seen bringing increase in pricey mobile home loans
- Analyst: KiOR Columbus plant may end up sold as scrap
- Warden who lives hundreds of miles from jail resigns
- Ex-MDEQ leader Fisher joins Butler Snow
- Jail kitchen supervisor pleads guilty to stealing food
- (UPDATE) Gov. Bryant: $1.2 billion aluminum plant is a very exciting proposition for the state of Mississippi
- WILLOUGHBY: Bernie Reed cites hard work as key to success of Reed’s Metals
- Hunting-weapons legislation passes House
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years