Atmos Energy gets approval to buy natural gas system
by MBJ Staff
Published: July 16,2013
ARTESIA — Public Service Commissioner Brandon Presley has signed an order approving the sale and transfer of the Town of Artesia’s natural gas system to Atmos Energy Corporation.
Terms were not disclosed.
According to a press release from Presley’s office, the Mississippi Public Service Commission action will result in a 49 percent rate reduction for residents of the Lowndes County town. A typical Artesia residential customer will see their bill drop from $35.65 monthly to $18.16 while commercial customers’ bills will drop from $111.15 to $46.58. Large users of natural gas will also see a reduction from a typical $452.61 to $336.01.
“Anytime you can cut customers’ rates, you need to do it. This is a win-win situation for the Town of Artesia, its residents and Atmos Energy.” Presley said.
Atmos Energy was expected to begin various testing and operational procedures in the Town of Artesia yesterday.
The Artesia natural gas system has 60 customers.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Drew Brees settles lawsuit alleging investment fraud
- Doctor convicted of using phony church for tax shelter
- Ex-Delta mayor indicted, accused of stealing city property
- Cochran's legal counsel asks Court to toss McDaniel's lawsuit
- Williams-Sonoma expanding, adding nearly 1,000 jobs
- Biloxi baseball project still alive but may be held for 2015
- Travis retiring as head of Mississippi World Trade Center
- More than half-dozen groups file charter school applications
- Pearl ordering rental properties to retrofit with sprinklers, build storm shelters