Businessman buys historic home, plans mixed-use development
Published: July 16,2013
Tags: acquisition, apartment, buy, Carter Building, Charles Price, Commercial Real Estate, culture, downtown, HATTIESBURG, Heritage, historic, history, Hub City Lofts with the America Building, mixed-use development, purchase, real estate, residential real estate
HATTIESBURG — A Hattiesburg businessman is planning to renovate a building that was constructed in 1898 and says it will add three apartments and retail space to downtown.
The Hattiesburg American says the building on Front Street is owned by local businessman Charles Price.
Price said the entire building encompasses 3,600 square feet.
The first floor will contain retail space, with an apartment in back, available as a live/work arrangement for a future proprietor.
The 1,800-square-feet second floor will contain two loft apartments, one with a covered balcony overlooking the street.
A business has not been found to locate in the retail space yet, Price said. He said he wants to find a business or entrepreneur with a concept that will complement the unique businesses on Front Street.
Earlier this month, the newly renovated America Building on Front Street welcomed its first tenants. The building has 20 residential units. Its first retail businesses — Wigbar Salon and Bodybar Fitness — are scheduled to open Sept. 1 on the first floor.
Also on Front Street, the renovated Carter Building — part of Hub City Lofts with the America Building — is scheduled to open Aug. 15. It will offer 32 apartments and five retail spots.
Historic Hattiesburg Downtown Association Director Betsy Rowell said the development of Front Street is indicative of growth capitalizing on itself.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
One Response to “Businessman buys historic home, plans mixed-use development”
Mississippi Economic Council
Mississippi Chambers of Commerce
Mississippi State Legislature
Mississippi Development Authority
Mississippi Economic Development Council
North Mississippi News
Social Security Disability Lawyer
Auto Accidents Lawyer
Top Posts & Pages
- Aluminum company rumored for Columbus: 'clock' is for website, not plant site
- Shale oil: market correction or longterm direction?
- Miss. surgeon sentenced in tax evasion case
- MBJ exclusive: Jackson’s new airport CEO fulfills desire to taking on the top job
- WILLOUGHBY: Mayo Flynt leads AT&T Mississippi by enjoying both work and workers
- MARTIN WILLOUGHBY: Gary Herring building tomorrow by educating today
- 'Blue Economy' important for Mississippi's future
- J.McLaughlin to open in Highland Village next spring
- Hyatt-Place is Columbus’ newest hotel option