Judge to hear BP’s complaint about oil spill claims
Published: July 17,2013
Tags: accident, bench, BP, claim, court, crude, death, disaster, disaster recovery, ecosystem, energy, environment, explosion, fatality, FBI Director Louis Freeh, fuel, gas, gasoline, gulf of mexico, judge, judicial, judiciary, justice, law, legal, Lionel H. Sutton III, natural gas, offshore drilling, Oil, oilrig, Patrick Juneau, petroleum, pil spill, restaurant, seafood, tourism, tourist, U.S. District Judge Carl Barbier, wildlife
NEW ORLEANS — A federal judge has scheduled a hearing Friday on BP’s bid to temporarily block settlement payments to Gulf Coast businesses and residents who claim they lost money after the company’s 2010 oil spill.
Yesterday, BP asked U.S. District Judge Carl Barbier to suspend the payments while former FBI Director Louis Freeh investigates alleged misconduct by a lawyer who helped administer the multibillion-dollar settlement program.
Last month, court-appointed claims administrator Patrick Juneau announced that his office is investigating allegations that a former staff attorney, Lionel H. Sutton III, received a portion of settlement proceeds for claims he had referred to a law firm before he started working on the settlement program.
Barbier appointed Freeh on July 2 to investigate the allegations and take a broader look at the program.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
One Response to “Judge to hear BP’s complaint about oil spill claims”
Top Posts & Pages
- BILL CRAWFORD: Dan Jones not the angel he is portrayed to be
- DAVID DALLAS — Just how long can Dan stand?
- Cal-Maine income skyrockets as prices rise and costs shrink
- The Dan Jones-IHL saga: Is this the story that started it all?
- Analysis: Closed meetings can feed false public impressions
- Lawmakers move on bonds despite complaints from colleges and universities
- Business groups file briefs in support of Kemper coal plant rehearing
- Grain scandal takes its toll on Delta farmers
- DAVID DALLAS — From Dan and Dixie with love