Construction to begin on new hurricane evacuation route
by MBJ Staff
Published: July 18,2013
Tags: construction, contracto, contractor, evacuation, Hancock County, highway, Highway 607, hurricane, infrastructure, Interstate 59, Mississippi Department of Transportation, road, roadbuilder, roadbuilding, state agency, TCB Construction Company, Texas Flat Road, traffic, transportation, travel, Weather
HANCOCK COUNTY — The Mississippi Department of Transportation (MDOT) will soon begin work on a comprehensive highway project involving construction of roadway along Highway 607 in Hancock County, creating an additional hurricane evacuation route for local residents.
The project was awarded to TCB Construction Company of Poplarville for $15.2 million.
Crews will build two new southbound lanes on Highway 607 from Texas Flat Road to Interstate 59. The project also involves work to transform existing highway into two northbound lanes. Work will include the removal and reconstruction of existing bridges.
Once the project is completed, the region will have its first four-lane north to south corridor in Hancock County, allowing hurricane evacuation to Interstate 59.
The project is scheduled for completion in August 2015.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- Brandon man hauls in record 756-pound alligator
- McDaniel delays decision on whether to appeal dismissal of lawsuit
- FLIPPING OUT — Flipping houses is popular in much of the country, but in Mississippi ...
- More than a dozen school districts sue state over funding
- REVVING UP — Motorcars of Jackson is preparing to open its first-ever showroom on I-55
- Jackson to get C Spire's high-speed internet
- Is cotton looking too good? Farmers facing weaker prices
- New York firm buying majority interest in Tupelo mall, shopping center
- Bryant issues executive order to establish Delta water task force