Construction to begin on new hurricane evacuation route
by MBJ Staff
Published: July 18,2013
Tags: construction, contracto, contractor, evacuation, Hancock County, highway, Highway 607, hurricane, infrastructure, Interstate 59, Mississippi Department of Transportation, road, roadbuilder, roadbuilding, state agency, TCB Construction Company, Texas Flat Road, traffic, transportation, travel, Weather
HANCOCK COUNTY — The Mississippi Department of Transportation (MDOT) will soon begin work on a comprehensive highway project involving construction of roadway along Highway 607 in Hancock County, creating an additional hurricane evacuation route for local residents.
The project was awarded to TCB Construction Company of Poplarville for $15.2 million.
Crews will build two new southbound lanes on Highway 607 from Texas Flat Road to Interstate 59. The project also involves work to transform existing highway into two northbound lanes. Work will include the removal and reconstruction of existing bridges.
Once the project is completed, the region will have its first four-lane north to south corridor in Hancock County, allowing hurricane evacuation to Interstate 59.
The project is scheduled for completion in August 2015.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Still planning that summer vacation?
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Seafood R’evolution set to make Mississippi ‘the new culinary epicenter of the South’
- Yarber could be sworn in today as new Jackson mayor
- After review, MSU moves forward on new research facility
- Ole Miss launches commitment to be 'climate neutral'
- Pharma Pac lays off rest of workers; could end up owing state
- SpaceX, Stennis officially open new rocket test stand
- Acco Brands investing $1.6M, adding 162 workers
- Gulf LNG terminal mulling export opportunities
- Secretary of State's Office transitioning to new location