Erosion control demonstration project highlighted at Ag Museum
by MBJ Staff
Published: July 18,2013
Tags: agriculture, Cindy Hyde-Smith, demonstration, erosion control, farm, farmer, farming, Kevin Kennedy, Mississippi Agriculture and Forestry Museum, Mississippi Department of Agriculture and Commerce, U.S. Department of Agriculture-Natural Resources Conservation Service
JACKSON — Commissioner of Agriculture and Commerce Cindy Hyde-Smith and U.S. Department of Agriculture-Natural Resources Conservation Service (USDA-NRCS) Acting State Conservationist Kevin Kennedy recently showcased a new erosion control demonstration project on the grounds of the Mississippi Agriculture and Forestry Museum.
The project, a partnership between the Mississippi Department of Agriculture and Commerce and the USDA-NRCS, addresses erosion problems that were occurring on the museum grounds while creating demonstration areas for the public.
Hyde-Smith said, “We appreciate the financial and the technical assistance provided by USDA-NRCS. What makes this project so great is that it not only helped the museum to address the erosion problems on the grounds, but it also serves a teaching tool for the public. The practices that were used in this project can be utilized by others who may have the same problems.”
The project was implemented to address erosion problems that were occurring along two streams on the Museum grounds as well as to serve as demonstration areas for erosion control practices that can be used in urban areas. The occurring problems were largely the result of storm water run-off from impervious areas such as parking lots and building roofs. Four demonstration areas were selected to install storm water run-off control structures including berms, drop pipes, and rock check dams to prevent erosion and stabilize the banks of the streams. Project design and funding were provided by the USDA-NRCS and was matched by in-kind services of the Mississippi Department of Agriculture and Commerce.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Expert on airlines predicts Jackson-Evers will keep remaining carriers
- Keeping our eye on... Liz Lancaster
- GOP Sen. Thad Cochran to run for seventh term
- MAN OF STEEL: Madhu Ranade leading Severstal Columbus
- IKE TROTTER: There are primary changes in Social Security for 2014
- C Spire launches next phase of 1-gig service rollout
- Alcorn's finances being investigated; CFO resigns
- Hood issues opinion on open-carry gun law
- NEW ORLEANS SAINTS MOVING — Mississippi company has the task of moving the football team
- Court to hear case involving alligators and ExxonMobil