Erosion control demonstration project highlighted at Ag Museum
by MBJ Staff
Published: July 18,2013
Tags: agriculture, Cindy Hyde-Smith, demonstration, erosion control, farm, farmer, farming, Kevin Kennedy, Mississippi Agriculture and Forestry Museum, Mississippi Department of Agriculture and Commerce, U.S. Department of Agriculture-Natural Resources Conservation Service
JACKSON — Commissioner of Agriculture and Commerce Cindy Hyde-Smith and U.S. Department of Agriculture-Natural Resources Conservation Service (USDA-NRCS) Acting State Conservationist Kevin Kennedy recently showcased a new erosion control demonstration project on the grounds of the Mississippi Agriculture and Forestry Museum.
The project, a partnership between the Mississippi Department of Agriculture and Commerce and the USDA-NRCS, addresses erosion problems that were occurring on the museum grounds while creating demonstration areas for the public.
Hyde-Smith said, “We appreciate the financial and the technical assistance provided by USDA-NRCS. What makes this project so great is that it not only helped the museum to address the erosion problems on the grounds, but it also serves a teaching tool for the public. The practices that were used in this project can be utilized by others who may have the same problems.”
The project was implemented to address erosion problems that were occurring along two streams on the Museum grounds as well as to serve as demonstration areas for erosion control practices that can be used in urban areas. The occurring problems were largely the result of storm water run-off from impervious areas such as parking lots and building roofs. Four demonstration areas were selected to install storm water run-off control structures including berms, drop pipes, and rock check dams to prevent erosion and stabilize the banks of the streams. Project design and funding were provided by the USDA-NRCS and was matched by in-kind services of the Mississippi Department of Agriculture and Commerce.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Mississippi Economic Council
Mississippi Chambers of Commerce
Mississippi State Legislature
Mississippi Development Authority
Mississippi Economic Development Council
North Mississippi News
Social Security Disability Lawyer
Auto Accidents Lawyer
Top Posts & Pages
- Ingalls to lease former SRHS clinic in Gautier for employee medical center
- Aluminum company rumored for Columbus: 'clock' is for website, not plant site
- Shale oil: market correction or longterm direction?
- Miss. surgeon sentenced in tax evasion case
- WILLOUGHBY: Mayo Flynt leads AT&T Mississippi by enjoying both work and workers
- MARTIN WILLOUGHBY: Gary Herring building tomorrow by educating today
- MBJ exclusive: Jackson’s new airport CEO fulfills desire to taking on the top job
- Hyatt-Place is Columbus’ newest hotel option
- Pearl ordering rental properties to retrofit with sprinklers, build storm shelters