Myrlie Evers, Christopher Brown take home awards
Alcorn State University president M. Christopher Brown II has earned the title of Male HBCU President of the Year from the Center for HBCU Media Advocacy. Brown, who in 2010 at the age of 39 became the youngest HBCU president in the nation, had his contract extended in 2012 by the Board of Trustees of State Institutions of Higher Learning. Also, Myrlie Evers, a distinguished scholar-in-residence at Alcorn, was honored as Female HBCU Faculty Member of the Year. She teaches social justice seminars, advises senior research papers, and interacts individually with students, encouraging them to succeed in their studies and passion for social justice and equality. The Center also bestowed upon Evers the Lifetime Achievement Award for her dedication to our nation. Evers was born in Vicksburg in 1933 and later enrolled in what was then Alcorn A&M College where she met and fell in love with Medgar Evers. She often has been applauded for working with Medgar, the NAACP field secretary, during the 1960s. Evers moved her family to California where she twice ran for Congress and enjoyed a successful business career. She was also the first African-American woman to serve on the Board of Public Works in Los Angeles. Evers later served as chairwoman of the NAACP’s national board of directors.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Still planning that summer vacation?
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Study: Mississippi has highest sales tax rate in U.S.
- Prescription for success — Transcript Pharmacy continues fast growth
- MSU researchers develop timber-management software
- New law on taxing methods hailed as big win for businesses
- Panther Creek megasite — Putting a value proposition out there
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years
- Panther Creek's location in medical industry zone boosts bio-med prospects
- BBB issues warning involving asphalt paving scam
- Running luxury car dealerships, like Mercedes of Jackson, comes naturally to Trudy Higginbotham Moody