Aldermen override mayor’s veto, vote again to fire city administrator
Published: July 24,2013
The Starkville Daily News reports the board voted 5-2 yesterday to override Mayor Parker Wiseman’s veto of its early decision.
Aldermen declined to answer questions from the audience gathered yesterday’s on why the majority decided to fire Spruill, who was paid $61,169 a year. With yesterday’s vote, Spruill was terminated immediately.
Alderman Ben Carver, who voted to dismiss Spruill, says board members had the right to select with whom they wanted to work. He says other city employees had nothing to fear in terms of losing their jobs.
Wiseman says he was disappointed there was no discussion or explanation for Spruill’s dismissal. Wiseman says Spruill deserves to know why she was fired.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- Oxford’s FNC getting new headquarters
- Judge intends to rule on McDaniel's challenge before general election
- QUIRKY? NO, JERKY — Whatever your craving, Beef Jerky Outlets likely has the flavor among 200+ choices
- Officials set hunting dates for birds; expands dove season by 20 days
- (UPDATE) I-20 partially closed as vehicle carrying hazardous materials burns
- Coast family wins $644K in tideland lawsuit against state
- State’s MAGIC accounting system works, albeit with glitches
- Corps official: River needs larger ports, locks and dams
- C Spire, UM installing Wi-Fi network at Vaught-Hemingway Stadium