Aldermen override mayor’s veto, vote again to fire city administrator
Published: July 24,2013
The Starkville Daily News reports the board voted 5-2 yesterday to override Mayor Parker Wiseman’s veto of its early decision.
Aldermen declined to answer questions from the audience gathered yesterday’s on why the majority decided to fire Spruill, who was paid $61,169 a year. With yesterday’s vote, Spruill was terminated immediately.
Alderman Ben Carver, who voted to dismiss Spruill, says board members had the right to select with whom they wanted to work. He says other city employees had nothing to fear in terms of losing their jobs.
Wiseman says he was disappointed there was no discussion or explanation for Spruill’s dismissal. Wiseman says Spruill deserves to know why she was fired.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Congressional delegation applauds Air Force's decision on Keesler, but not satisfied
- Businessman involved in Frankel insurance scam dies at 81
- Report: Mississippi sees biggest hike in home insurance premiums in U.S.
- Giles Ward will not seek reelection to Senate
- County rescinds gun ban; sheriff says lawmakers may 'deal with the consequences'
- (UPDATED) Making Jackson-Evers affordable to Allegiant is key to regaining Orlando service
- Commission to decide if emergency should be declared in Delta school system
- Leadership in Law nomination form
- Ex-state employee gets jail time for embezzling from school
- MDOT study: State's airports generate $2.5B-plus in economic activity