Aldermen override mayor’s veto, vote again to fire city administrator
Published: July 24,2013
The Starkville Daily News reports the board voted 5-2 yesterday to override Mayor Parker Wiseman’s veto of its early decision.
Aldermen declined to answer questions from the audience gathered yesterday’s on why the majority decided to fire Spruill, who was paid $61,169 a year. With yesterday’s vote, Spruill was terminated immediately.
Alderman Ben Carver, who voted to dismiss Spruill, says board members had the right to select with whom they wanted to work. He says other city employees had nothing to fear in terms of losing their jobs.
Wiseman says he was disappointed there was no discussion or explanation for Spruill’s dismissal. Wiseman says Spruill deserves to know why she was fired.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Peavey's wellness program honored after workers drop 1,000 pounds
- Pickering lists concerns over Mississippi Adequate Education Program formula
- Group, lesbian couples look to overturn state's ban on same-sex marriages
- Watkins says JRA out to block him from Farish by repaying HUD $1.5M
- Mississippi Film Studios signs contract with New Orleans company
- State renews battle over water use with city of Memphis
- Mars Food expanding Delta plant; investing $31M and adding jobs
- DAVID DALLAS: You say “Obama”, I say “Ebola”
- Biloxi baseball project still alive but may be held for 2015