Aldermen override mayor’s veto, vote again to fire city administrator
by Associated Press
Published: July 24,2013
The Starkville Daily News reports the board voted 5-2 yesterday to override Mayor Parker Wiseman’s veto of its early decision.
Aldermen declined to answer questions from the audience gathered yesterday’s on why the majority decided to fire Spruill, who was paid $61,169 a year. With yesterday’s vote, Spruill was terminated immediately.
Alderman Ben Carver, who voted to dismiss Spruill, says board members had the right to select with whom they wanted to work. He says other city employees had nothing to fear in terms of losing their jobs.
Wiseman says he was disappointed there was no discussion or explanation for Spruill’s dismissal. Wiseman says Spruill deserves to know why she was fired.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Alumni-couple donate $12.3M to Mississippi State
- IKE TROTTER: There are primary changes in Social Security for 2014
- MAN OF STEEL: Madhu Ranade leading Severstal Columbus
- Town given Obamacare insurance break, but faces additional costs in 2015
- TRIP releases report on state's crumbling roads, bridges
- Butler Snow Advisory Services adds Jimmy Bailey
- Expert on airlines predicts Jackson-Evers will keep remaining carriers
- MDA to lead delegation on mission to Europe
- C Spire launches next phase of 1-gig service rollout
- Public meeting called to mull future of convention center