Aldermen override mayor’s veto, vote again to fire city administrator
Published: July 24,2013
The Starkville Daily News reports the board voted 5-2 yesterday to override Mayor Parker Wiseman’s veto of its early decision.
Aldermen declined to answer questions from the audience gathered yesterday’s on why the majority decided to fire Spruill, who was paid $61,169 a year. With yesterday’s vote, Spruill was terminated immediately.
Alderman Ben Carver, who voted to dismiss Spruill, says board members had the right to select with whom they wanted to work. He says other city employees had nothing to fear in terms of losing their jobs.
Wiseman says he was disappointed there was no discussion or explanation for Spruill’s dismissal. Wiseman says Spruill deserves to know why she was fired.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- MSU reminding fans that drones are prohibited at football games
- Former DPS employees sentenced for selling bogus driver's licenses
- Politics of paying for transportation: Hand wringing and a lot of talk
- Researchers: Trapping, not hunting, best way to control wild hogs
- DeSoto County Supervisor Lee dies in ATV accident on his birthday
- Research on dogs could lead to better understanding of human cancer
- Keesler Medical Center set to begin $74M renovation project
- ONE MORE YEAR: Leaders want year more of study on comprehensive road, bridge upkeep
- Community college dedicating new welding technology center