MSU signs agreement with Army on unmanned aircraft research
by MBJ Staff
Published: July 24,2013
Tags: Army, Army Aviation and Missile Research, college, defense, Development and Engineering Center, education, higher education, Memorandum of Understanding, military, Mississippi State University, postsecondary education, Project Manager for Unmanned Aircraft Systems, public university, Raspet Flight Research Laboratory, research, Robb Walker, university, unmanned aircraft
Officials from the land-grant institution were at Redstone Arsenal in Huntsville, Ala., yesterday for a memorandum of understanding signing with the U.S. Army’s Project Manager for Unmanned Aircraft Systems (PM UAS).
The agreement will foster collaboration between PM UAS and MSU that complements one of the university’s key research focus areas, according to a senior administrator.
“This MOU will allow Mississippi State to boost its research capabilities and retool curricula, allowing students and faculty to research and study UAS use in the national airspace,” said Lt. Col. Robb Walker, director of external programs for PM UAS. “There are an endless number of things you could use UAS for. It is amazing to see what these students think of and how they conquer problems.”
As part of the MOU, the Army Aviation and Missile Research, Development and Engineering Center has provided the Raspet Flight Research Laboratory at MSU with a Raven unmanned aircraft system, which consists of three airframes and ground control equipment.
The Army has signed similar MOUs with Auburn University, University of Alabama, University of Alabama-Huntsville, Alabama A&M University, Middle Tennessee State University and the University of Texas-Arlington.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- NEW IN MADISON COUNTY — Mississippi Bio-Medical Business Collaboratory to be introduced Friday
- GreenTech holds grand opening of neighborhood electric vehicle plant
- Turner Grain’s transition will help consolidate lawsuits alleging breach of contract
- Mississippi Film Studios signs contract with New Orleans company
- MDOT cutting more than 40 jobs in Right-of-Way Division
- Granddaughter of Barq's Root Beer founder dies at 90
- Mars Food expanding Delta plant; investing $31M and adding jobs
- Board authorizes sale of company that owns Silver Slipper Casino
- David Duval, former British Open winner, joins Sanderson Farms field
- JRA plans image makeover, hires crisis manager