MSU signs agreement with Army on unmanned aircraft research
by MBJ Staff
Published: July 24,2013
Tags: Army, Army Aviation and Missile Research, college, defense, Development and Engineering Center, education, higher education, Memorandum of Understanding, military, Mississippi State University, postsecondary education, Project Manager for Unmanned Aircraft Systems, public university, Raspet Flight Research Laboratory, research, Robb Walker, university, unmanned aircraft
Officials from the land-grant institution were at Redstone Arsenal in Huntsville, Ala., yesterday for a memorandum of understanding signing with the U.S. Army’s Project Manager for Unmanned Aircraft Systems (PM UAS).
The agreement will foster collaboration between PM UAS and MSU that complements one of the university’s key research focus areas, according to a senior administrator.
“This MOU will allow Mississippi State to boost its research capabilities and retool curricula, allowing students and faculty to research and study UAS use in the national airspace,” said Lt. Col. Robb Walker, director of external programs for PM UAS. “There are an endless number of things you could use UAS for. It is amazing to see what these students think of and how they conquer problems.”
As part of the MOU, the Army Aviation and Missile Research, Development and Engineering Center has provided the Raspet Flight Research Laboratory at MSU with a Raven unmanned aircraft system, which consists of three airframes and ground control equipment.
The Army has signed similar MOUs with Auburn University, University of Alabama, University of Alabama-Huntsville, Alabama A&M University, Middle Tennessee State University and the University of Texas-Arlington.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Mississippi Economic Council
Mississippi Chambers of Commerce
Mississippi State Legislature
Mississippi Development Authority
Mississippi Economic Development Council
North Mississippi News
Social Security Disability Lawyer
Auto Accidents Lawyer
Top Posts & Pages
- Aluminum company rumored for Columbus: 'clock' is for website, not plant site
- Shale oil: market correction or longterm direction?
- Miss. surgeon sentenced in tax evasion case
- WILLOUGHBY: Mayo Flynt leads AT&T Mississippi by enjoying both work and workers
- MARTIN WILLOUGHBY: Gary Herring building tomorrow by educating today
- MBJ exclusive: Jackson’s new airport CEO fulfills desire to taking on the top job
- Pearl ordering rental properties to retrofit with sprinklers, build storm shelters
- Hyatt-Place is Columbus’ newest hotel option
- J.McLaughlin to open in Highland Village next spring