PRCC named one of 50 best community colleges in America
by MBJ Staff
Published: July 24,2013
POPLARVILLE – A higher education-career website has ranked Pearl River Community College the 28th best community college in the country.
TheBestSchools.org selected the 50 best community colleges in the U.S. based on a comparison of several studies and ratings of community colleges as well as the college’s reputation and review of a large number of notable community colleges.
“This recognition implies that Pearl River ranks among the best community colleges in America, but it also indicates that our students are really doing well when compared nationally,” said PRCC president William Lewis.
“We selected the top community colleges based on a comparison of several studies and ratings of community colleges, each with their own unique selection criteria, as well as the schools’ reputation and our review of notable community colleges,” said David Redfearn with TheBestSchools.org. “While completion/graduation rates are important to any college’s success, we identified several factors as especially significant to select the top community colleges.”
• Sustained Achievement Outcomes: Ongoing success in student perseverance and completion of associate degrees and/or transfer to four-year colleges.
• Learning Outcomes: Values and practices that actively engage students and require them to stretch academically; explore learning freely; pursue a variety of educational experiences and areas of study.
• Deployment Outcomes: Strong rates of employment, salaries and advancement for graduates matched with workplace skill needs.
• Equitable Outcomes: Policies and practices that result in student diversity and success among low-income students and underrepresented racial/ethnic groups (African American, Hispanic/Latino and Native American).
Cost-to-Value Outcomes: Reasonable tuition costs, access to financial aid resources and an emphasis on minimizing post-school debt.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- BILL CRAWFORD: Dan Jones not the angel he is portrayed to be
- DAVID DALLAS — Just how long can Dan stand?
- The Dan Jones-IHL saga: Is this the story that started it all?
- Cal-Maine income skyrockets as prices rise and costs shrink
- Chancery judge delays JRA bond approval for Jackson's Westin hotel
- Business groups file briefs in support of Kemper coal plant rehearing
- Lawmakers move on bonds despite complaints from colleges and universities
- Grain scandal takes its toll on Delta farmers
- Analysis: Closed meetings can feed false public impressions