City bans guns from all buildings, parks and playgrounds
Published: July 29,2013
Tags: city, city council, city government, City of Meridian, fire station, firearms, gun, James Lee, law, law enforcement, Meridian Law Enforcement Center, municipal, municipal building, municipality, open carry law, park, playground, public building, public safety, weapon
MERIDIAN — The city of Meridian is banning openly carried weapons in all public buildings and city parks and playgrounds.
The Meridian Star reports the city council took action this past week to keep such weapons out of city hall, the Meridian Law Enforcement Center, all fire stations, all municipal offices, city parks, and playgrounds. It makes exceptions for public roads, streets and sidewalks.
Weapons included in the ban are handguns, pistols, rifles, shotguns, stun guns, knives and, according to the ordinance, “any other item of any kind or nature that could or may be used as a weapon.”
Police Chief James Lee says the ordinance is needed to protect local residents.
The ban does not address concealed carry permitted citizens. State law outlines where such guns can be possessed.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
2 Responses to “City bans guns from all buildings, parks and playgrounds”
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- Officials set hunting dates for birds; expands dove season by 20 days
- FLIPPING OUT — Flipping houses is popular in much of the country, but in Mississippi ...
- MBJ Special report: MDA numbers help with cities’ retail pitches
- REVVING UP — Motorcars of Jackson is preparing to open its first-ever showroom on I-55
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years
- COO of TL Wallace Construction keeps eye on revenue growth and profits
- RAISING AWARENESS — Lori Newcomb, family join fight against ovarian cancer
- Isle of Capri reports decreased in-state revenues; experiencing 'market pressures'
- DREAMS AND OYSTERS — Houstons set for August opening of Saltine in Fondren