Governors announce partnership to research oil sands
by MBJ Staff
Published: July 29,2013
Tags: agreement, diesel, energy, fuel, gasoline, gulf of mexico, Hartselle Sandstone, Memorandum of Understanding, Oil, oil sands, petroleum, Phil Bryant, research, Robert Bentley, Southern States Energy Board, State of Alabama, State of Mississippi
MOBILE — The governors of Mississippi and Alabama said Saturday their two states will partner to study oil sands resources.
Oil sands are a sandy mixture found below the surface containing bitumen. After extracting the sand, the bitumen can be transformed into crude oil that can be refined.
Gov. Phil Bryant and Alabama Gov. Robert Bentley announced the partnership Saturday while speaking to the Southern States Energy Board during a meeting in Mobile, Ala.
Republican governors signed a memorandum of understanding that commissions the assessment of oil sands in both states, according to a news release. The Southern States Energy Board will team up with various agencies from Mississippi and Alabama to conduct the study.
“As I have said before, for our nation to become more energy independent, we must recognize the importance of a forward-thinking approach to energy and continue to develop a comprehensive energy policy that works,” Bryant said in a statement.
The resource is known as the Hartselle Sandstone, an underground layer that stretches from north-central and northwest Alabama into northeastern Mississippi. A recent study found an estimated 7.5 billion barrels of oil located in the reserves, the governors say.
“By taking this action, we’re exploring the potential for safe and reliable development of energy right here at home,” Bentley said in a statement.
Bryant said Mississippi and Alabama can learn from Canada, where the extraction of oil sands has been successful.
“Canada has proven to be a leader in oil sand recovery, and we hope through this evaluation process we can collaborate and share knowledge on best practices,” Bryant said.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
2 Responses to “Governors announce partnership to research oil sands”
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Mississippi no longer has highest unemployment rate in nation
- McDaniel cites Gunn's challenge in his attempt to overturn loss to Cochran
- Outside group files arguments supporting McDaniel
- Payday lender, fired executive exchanging blame for lender’s regulatory woes
- Grain buyer’s bankruptcy could take steep toll on Delta farmers
- UPDATE — David Watkins says JRA left him in dark about HUD's Farish St. involvement
- Mad Genius, Eyevox owner acquires Mississippi Film Studios
- Once the bane of only Southerners, kudzu is migrating north and west
- MDEQ fines metalworking firm over hazardous waste