Governors announce partnership to research oil sands
by MBJ Staff
Published: July 29,2013
Tags: agreement, diesel, energy, fuel, gasoline, gulf of mexico, Hartselle Sandstone, Memorandum of Understanding, Oil, oil sands, petroleum, Phil Bryant, research, Robert Bentley, Southern States Energy Board, State of Alabama, State of Mississippi
MOBILE — The governors of Mississippi and Alabama said Saturday their two states will partner to study oil sands resources.
Oil sands are a sandy mixture found below the surface containing bitumen. After extracting the sand, the bitumen can be transformed into crude oil that can be refined.
Gov. Phil Bryant and Alabama Gov. Robert Bentley announced the partnership Saturday while speaking to the Southern States Energy Board during a meeting in Mobile, Ala.
Republican governors signed a memorandum of understanding that commissions the assessment of oil sands in both states, according to a news release. The Southern States Energy Board will team up with various agencies from Mississippi and Alabama to conduct the study.
“As I have said before, for our nation to become more energy independent, we must recognize the importance of a forward-thinking approach to energy and continue to develop a comprehensive energy policy that works,” Bryant said in a statement.
The resource is known as the Hartselle Sandstone, an underground layer that stretches from north-central and northwest Alabama into northeastern Mississippi. A recent study found an estimated 7.5 billion barrels of oil located in the reserves, the governors say.
“By taking this action, we’re exploring the potential for safe and reliable development of energy right here at home,” Bentley said in a statement.
Bryant said Mississippi and Alabama can learn from Canada, where the extraction of oil sands has been successful.
“Canada has proven to be a leader in oil sand recovery, and we hope through this evaluation process we can collaborate and share knowledge on best practices,” Bryant said.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
2 Responses to “Governors announce partnership to research oil sands”
Top Posts & Pages
- DAVID DALLAS — Cannabis for the rest of us
- MARTY WISEMAN: The current racial strife and the failure to educate
- Source: Bryant has offered Glenn McCullough MDA job
- Planters Bank promotes at 3 locations
- BILL CRAWFORD: Boyce takes hot spot as IHL commissioner
- COMMERCIAL FINANCE 701: Loans disguised as government bonds (BOANs)
- (WITH VIDEO) Funding secured for Capitol Art Lofts in downtown Jackson
- Real Estate Forum panelists: Lenders, investors hungry for deals on residential rentals in Miss., elsewhere
- Two new casinos like the odds on Mississippi Gulf Coast