Historic hospital, shuttered for decades, getting renovated
Published: July 29,2013
Tags: construction, culture, grant, health care, heralth, Heritage, history, hospital, Knights and Daughters of Tabor, medical, medicine, Mound Bayou, renovation, Tobarian Hospital, U.S. Department of Agriculture
MOUND BAYOU — After 30 years of being boarded up, renovation has begun on the Taborian Hospital in Mound Bayou, one of Mississippi’s oldest hospitals.
Contractors have 210 days to complete the work.
The Bolivar Commercial reports that the work is funded with a $2.9 million grant from the U.S. Department of Agriculture. The facility will reopen as the Taborian Urgent Care Center.
Founded in 1942 by the fraternal order Knights and Daughters of Tabor, the venture is also supported by a partnership between the order and the city.
Upon opening, TUCC will offer residents extended hours, including evenings and weekends, as well as other services.
It will also provide walk-in access for acute illness and injuries, as well as physical and occupational therapy.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Mad Genius, Eyevox owner acquires Mississippi Film Studios
- Tragedy for Jackson Prep: Football player Walker Wilbanks dies
- Payday lender, fired executive exchanging blame for lender’s regulatory woes
- McDaniel files legal arguments as he looks to overturn Cochran loss
- UMMC reaching out after death of high school football player
- UPDATED: Jackson agrees to repay HUD $1.5 million for Farish Street blunders
- Fitch gives Mississippi Power a negative outlook due to Kemper plant
- Mississippi River mayors announce 'seed money' for waterfront developments
- Payday lender expects clean bill from regulators