BOOK BIZ: New book tells how to beat the sugar habit
by For the MBJ
Published: August 2,2013
A new title in the popular Dummies series was released last month and it really rings a lot of bells. As all of us of all ages — especially families with young children ±— are wrestling with making healthy food choices, we must face our bad eating habits. Surely our love of sugar is at the top of the list.
If you don’t think of a love and devotion for sugar as an addiction, think again. When you think of addictions, various illegal and harmful substances probably spring to mind. However, sugar is highly addictive and acts on the pleasure center of the brain like alcohol and heroin. In other words, the more you eat, the more you want.
“Today, the average American consumes more than 130 pounds of sugar each year, which your body isn’t designed to handle, says the book’s author Dan DeFigio. “As a result, our country is plagued with high rates of obesity, diabetes, chronic fatigue, high cholesterol, metabolic syndrome, and much more — a very high price to pay for the sake of habit, preference and convenience.”
In the book, DeFigio explains the science behind sugar addiction and why it’s so harmful for us. He also helps readers identify whether or not they might be sugar addicts and gives the tools to create a sustainable and more nutritious diet that includes exercise recommendations and healthy recipes. One of the first steps in decreasing reliance on sugar, he says, is making smarter choices regarding the food we buy and eat.
I must say that DeFigio’s list of harmful foods makes me want to wire my mouth shut. There just seems to be sugar and harmful chemicals in everything. Diet soda? Not good. Microwave popcorn? Not good. Canned soups? Not good. Frozen low-calorie entrees? Not good. Bacon? Well, yeah, I DID know that was bad.
See what I mean? But, there is good information and food for thought (pardon the pun) in this book that will at the very least make us stop and think before reaching for items on the grocery store shelf.
DeFigio is an old pro in the fitness and nutrition industry. His articles have appeared in numerous professional publications, including SELF Magazine, MD News, and Personal Fitness Professional.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
One Response to “BOOK BIZ: New book tells how to beat the sugar habit”
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- David Duval, former British Open winner, joins Sanderson Farms field
- Court rules against Greenwood councilwoman; must give up office
- NEW IN MADISON COUNTY — Mississippi Bio-Medical Business Collaboratory to be introduced Friday
- Cochran continues to reach out to African American voters
- Alcorn president launches new customer service task force
- ‘Little Boogaloo’ Eden Brent happy singing the blues
- Turner Grain’s bankruptcy will help consolidate lawsuits alleging breach of contract
- Hole-by-hole look at Sanderson Farms Championship course at CCJ
- Senators write letter over Waters of the United States proposal