Keeping Our Eye On: Kevin Spera
Published: August 2,2013
Name: Kevin Spera
Company: Kevin Spera Fotography
Photographer Kevin Spera begins each day at 5 a.m. and he says the day doesn’t end until he’s satisfied in his accomplishments.
As the sole proprietor of Kevin Spera Fotography, Spera focuses on portrait, commercial, still life and fine art photography.
“The success of my business has been and will always be due to the collaborative relationship I cultivate with each client,” Spera says.
Born and raised in New Orleans, Spera studied sports medicine and administration at the University of Southern Mississippi and Texas Tech University and spent five years on the sports medicine staff of the New York Yankees and Toronto Blue Jays.
“I never want to stop learning,” Spera says. As a child Spera says he always wanted to do something creative and when he matched that with an independent streak, owning his own business just made sense.
“(The photography business) is always changing,” Spera says. “Especially now that everyone has a decent camera in his or her pocket at all times. It is not good enough to just be better than everyone else in the industry, you must be different.”
Spera donates both services and pieces of his fine art photography to charity auctions and raises money every year for St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital in Memphis.
“It is all about making connections and word of mouth,” Spera advises young professionals. “I submit plenty of proposals that get rejected but I stay focused and persistent. Know who you are and stick to what makes you you and the rest will take care of itself.”
Spera enjoys cooking, running, cycling and spending time with his wife, Michelle.
Best thing about Mississippi: “It is where I met my wife”
Best Mississippi event: Peter Anderson Festival in Ocean Springs
Favorite Mississippi food: Tamales
First job ever: Electronic Design Inc.
Favorite TV show: “Chopped”
Favorite movie: “The Shawshank Redemption”
Favorite music: New Orleans funk
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Still planning that summer vacation?
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Gulf LNG terminal mulling export opportunities
- Education officials changing school rating system
- Yarber could be sworn in today as new Jackson mayor
- Capital City voters to elect new mayor in runoff
- Historic COFO building demolished due to structural problems
- Seafood R’evolution set to make Mississippi ‘the new culinary epicenter of the South’
- After review, MSU moves forward on new research facility
- Pharma Pac lays off rest of workers; could end up owing state
- Ole Miss launches commitment to be 'climate neutral'
- Study: Mississippi has highest sales tax rate in U.S.