Keeping Our Eye On: Kevin Spera
Published: August 2,2013
Name: Kevin Spera
Company: Kevin Spera Fotography
Photographer Kevin Spera begins each day at 5 a.m. and he says the day doesn’t end until he’s satisfied in his accomplishments.
As the sole proprietor of Kevin Spera Fotography, Spera focuses on portrait, commercial, still life and fine art photography.
“The success of my business has been and will always be due to the collaborative relationship I cultivate with each client,” Spera says.
Born and raised in New Orleans, Spera studied sports medicine and administration at the University of Southern Mississippi and Texas Tech University and spent five years on the sports medicine staff of the New York Yankees and Toronto Blue Jays.
“I never want to stop learning,” Spera says. As a child Spera says he always wanted to do something creative and when he matched that with an independent streak, owning his own business just made sense.
“(The photography business) is always changing,” Spera says. “Especially now that everyone has a decent camera in his or her pocket at all times. It is not good enough to just be better than everyone else in the industry, you must be different.”
Spera donates both services and pieces of his fine art photography to charity auctions and raises money every year for St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital in Memphis.
“It is all about making connections and word of mouth,” Spera advises young professionals. “I submit plenty of proposals that get rejected but I stay focused and persistent. Know who you are and stick to what makes you you and the rest will take care of itself.”
Spera enjoys cooking, running, cycling and spending time with his wife, Michelle.
Best thing about Mississippi: “It is where I met my wife”
Best Mississippi event: Peter Anderson Festival in Ocean Springs
Favorite Mississippi food: Tamales
First job ever: Electronic Design Inc.
Favorite TV show: “Chopped”
Favorite movie: “The Shawshank Redemption”
Favorite music: New Orleans funk
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Congressional delegation applauds Air Force's decision on Keesler, but not satisfied
- Giles Ward will not seek reelection to Senate
- Report: Mississippi sees biggest hike in home insurance premiums in U.S.
- Businessman involved in Frankel insurance scam dies at 81
- County rescinds gun ban; sheriff says lawmakers may 'deal with the consequences'
- (UPDATED) Making Jackson-Evers affordable to Allegiant is key to regaining Orlando service
- Commission to decide if emergency should be declared in Delta school system
- Leadership in Law nomination form
- Ex-state employee gets jail time for embezzling from school
- MDOT study: State's airports generate $2.5B-plus in economic activity