Mall tenants get termination notice; city working on relocation
by Associated Press
Published: August 5,2013
Tags: city, city government, construction, destruction, lease, MaCnarb Gaming; Gordon Gollott, mall, municipal, municipality, Phillip Henderson, raze, retail, retailer, retailing, Singing River Mall, store, tenant, termination
GAUTIER — Tenants at Singing River Mall are scrambling for a new place to setup shop.
The city of Gautier officials has sent out lease termination notices were sent out this week telling businesses they have to move out soon.
One of those tenants is Phillip Henderson, who manages MaCnarb Gaming. The business hasn’t been at Singing River Mall quite a year, but workers are already packing up to leave.
“We had a 30-day termination notice, so at the end of August we will be at our new place,” Henderson told WLOX-TV in Biloxi.
“We are looking at one of the temporary places at the strip malls. Hopefully, we will be able to open up our own place.”
The city is working with tenants and local strip mall owners to provide more relocation options around town.
“We, the city, are going to give these tenants the opportunity to contact our economic development director, and we will provide information to them as far as relocation possibilities within Gautier,” Mayor Gordon Gollott said. “We do not want to lose these tenants, but provide info to them so they can continue their business here.”
Gollott said termination letters are the first step in a major plan to tear down the outdated mall and build a modern one.
“A 390,000 square feet open air mall. It will be a $90 million investment,” Gollott said.
Wal-Mart has already committed to setting up shop at the new mall. City officials said the new mall will bring in more tax dollars.
“This will generate $125 million in new retail sales within this mall alone. We have been discussing with these mall developers for two years now, and what you see is the beginning of that coming forward,” Gollott said.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Still planning that summer vacation?
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Panther Creek megasite — Putting a value proposition out there
- BBB issues warning involving asphalt paving scam
- Prescription for success — Transcript Pharmacy continues fast growth
- Study: Mississippi has highest sales tax rate in U.S.
- Panther Creek's location in medical industry zone boosts bio-med prospects
- Mississippi State makes NSF ranking of research universities
- TVA president/CEO Johnson tours Techumseh, Yokohama plants
- Sawtimber, pulpwood markets improving, but challenges remain
- News The Way You Want It!
- Chris McDaniel responds to radio show audio clip