Mall tenants get termination notice; city working on relocation
Published: August 5,2013
Tags: city, city government, construction, destruction, lease, MaCnarb Gaming; Gordon Gollott, mall, municipal, municipality, Phillip Henderson, raze, retail, retailer, retailing, Singing River Mall, store, tenant, termination
GAUTIER — Tenants at Singing River Mall are scrambling for a new place to setup shop.
The city of Gautier officials has sent out lease termination notices were sent out this week telling businesses they have to move out soon.
One of those tenants is Phillip Henderson, who manages MaCnarb Gaming. The business hasn’t been at Singing River Mall quite a year, but workers are already packing up to leave.
“We had a 30-day termination notice, so at the end of August we will be at our new place,” Henderson told WLOX-TV in Biloxi.
“We are looking at one of the temporary places at the strip malls. Hopefully, we will be able to open up our own place.”
The city is working with tenants and local strip mall owners to provide more relocation options around town.
“We, the city, are going to give these tenants the opportunity to contact our economic development director, and we will provide information to them as far as relocation possibilities within Gautier,” Mayor Gordon Gollott said. “We do not want to lose these tenants, but provide info to them so they can continue their business here.”
Gollott said termination letters are the first step in a major plan to tear down the outdated mall and build a modern one.
“A 390,000 square feet open air mall. It will be a $90 million investment,” Gollott said.
Wal-Mart has already committed to setting up shop at the new mall. City officials said the new mall will bring in more tax dollars.
“This will generate $125 million in new retail sales within this mall alone. We have been discussing with these mall developers for two years now, and what you see is the beginning of that coming forward,” Gollott said.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- Officials set hunting dates for birds; expands dove season by 20 days
- FLIPPING OUT — Flipping houses is popular in much of the country, but in Mississippi ...
- REVVING UP — Motorcars of Jackson is preparing to open its first-ever showroom on I-55
- George Flaggs regrets repayment flaw in lending law
- TECH 21 — Mississippi's most wanted in technology
- Mississippi judge dismisses lawsuit seeking to overturn Sen. Cochran's GOP primary win
- Chefs John Folse and Rick Tramonto are dotting every ‘i’ and crossing every ‘t’ in the development of Seafood R’evolution, which is set to open in November
- Bryant issues executive order to establish Delta water task force
- PEDIGREE dog food recalled; might contain metal fragments