City expected to make deadline for tax assessment appeal
Published: August 9,2013
Tags: assessment, boasrd of supervisors, building, Casino Magic, city, City of Biloxi, Connie Rocko, coty government, county, county government, David Wheeler, Gulf Coast Mental Health Center, Harrison County, home, house, Jerry Creel, land, municipal, municipality, property, real estate, Southern Trucking, supervisor, tax, value
BILOXI — City officials estimate Biloxi has lost millions since Hurricane Katrina due to low and zero tax assessments by the Harrison County Assessor’s office and they expect to appeal the values by Monday’s deadline.
The zero assessment on the Casino Magic hotel tower, Southern Trucking’s concrete plant, Gulf Coast Mental Health Center and the Biloxi Yacht Club are among the assessments they plan to appeal to the Harrison County supervisors because the properties’ owners aren’t being taxed for them.
Jerry Creel, the city’s community development director, tells The Sun Herald by yesterday they had identified 18 properties on which the assessor reduced the value of the building to zero after Katrina in 2005. Creel’s office is still looking at other properties that have “no reasonable assessment” on the buildings, he said.
David Wheeler, the city’s attorney, will file the appeals today or Monday.
“We’re not going to let this go,” Creel said.
Biloxi and every city in the county is provided with the tax rolls, said Harrison County Supervisor Connie Rockco, and it is their responsibility to review them. “There are over 100,000 properties that they have to assess,” she said.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Regions must pay $7.5 million in fines over illegal overdraft fees
- Bradley Arant Boult Cummings attorney Alan Perry takes office as IHL board president
- Two new casinos like the odds on Mississippi Gulf Coast
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years
- CFPB wants repay ability at center of new payday loan rules
- Mississippian Glenn McCullough Jr. gets nod as new MDA chief
- Irby commits suicide after wife's prison release
- The leadership styles of President Obama
- DAVID DALLAS: Getting a grip on LGBT issues