Michael Galaty heading MSU anthropology department
Award-winning survey archaeologist Michael Galaty is the new head of Mississippi State University’s Department of Anthropology and Middle Eastern Cultures. Before officially assuming his duties, Galaty was an anthropology professor and chair of the sociology and anthropology department at Millsaps College in Jackson.
Galaty holds master’s and doctoral degrees in anthropology from the University of Wisconsin, Madison. Also an anthropology graduate of Grinnell College in Iowa, he first became interested in Greece as an undergraduate and was given the opportunity to study abroad there. His current research interests include the archaeology of the Balkans, archaeological survey, ceramic petrology, and the formation of states.
Over his career, Galaty has led numerous projects, including the Mallakastra Regional Archaeological Project in central Albania from 1998-2003, as well as archaeological investigations at the Blue Ridge Center for Environmental Stewardship in Virginia. Currently, he is directing the Shala Valley Project, an international, interdisciplinary effort aimed at surveying a high-altitude, northern Albanian valley.
In 2010, Galaty was honored with the Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching Award of the Archaeological Institute of America. During the 2007-08 school year, he also received Millsaps’ Distinguished Professor Award.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Omega Protein shifting vessels to Mississippi
- CARTOON — Nobile illustrates Thad Cochran's most significant advantage over the competition
- Bankrupt Simply Wheelz chooses prevailing bidder for assets
- Judge denies ex-mayor's motion to vacate Katrina-related conviction
- IKE TROTTER: There are primary changes in Social Security for 2014
- Real estate developer to plead guilty to wetlands violation
- Wiseman retiring after nearly 30 years with Stennis Institute
- PSC unanimously rejects Entergy-ITC proposed merger
- Company mulling plan to build new pipeline
- Alumni-couple donate $12.3M to Mississippi State