Workers complete debris removal from blown out Gulf gas well
Published: August 9,2013
Tags: bowout, Bureau of Safety and Environmental Enforcement, disaster, disaster recovery, ecosystem, energy, environment, gulf of mexico, leak, natural gas, offshore drilling, pollution, Walter Oil & Gas Corp., well, wildlife
GULF OF MEXICO — Federal regulators say workers have finished removing debris from the wellhead of a gas well that blew out in the Gulf of Mexico last month off the coast of Louisiana.
The Bureau of Safety and Environmental Enforcement said yesterday that it has approved plans to send a camera down the wellbore as part of efforts to permanently seal the well.
On Sunday, workers started drilling a relief well that will take about 35 days to complete. Drilling mud and cement will be pumped into the well once the relief well intercepts it.
Nobody was injured when the well owned by Houston-based Walter Oil & Gas Corp. blew out on July 23. Authorities said sand and debris have clogged the well and stopped the flow of gas.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- UMMC reaching out after death of high school football player
- Former Godwin CEO Danny Mitchell dies at 66
- Northrop Grumman lands $354M Air Force contract for Global Hawks
- MDOT: Work on I-269 is on schedule, several phases at halfway point
- More school districts join MAEP lawsuit brought by Musgrove
- Delta Council says condition of Highway 6 'of crisis dimensions'
- Thousands of acres of Delta farmland to go on auction block
- Court tosses challenge to Miss. Silicon’s clean air permit
- S&P: State in top 10 in U.S. in sales tax dependency