Judge sets deadline for oil spill claims administrator to respond to BP allegations
Published: August 13,2013
Tags: attorney, bench, BP, Carl Barbier, court, crude oil, death, diesel, disaster, ecosystem, energy, environment, explosion, fatality, FBI, fuel, gasoline, judge, judicial, judiciary, justice, law, lawyer, legal, Louis Freeh, offshore drilling, Oil, oil spill, oilrig, Patrick Juneazu, petroleum, pollution, restaurant, seafood, tourism, tourist, trial, U.S. District Court, visitor, wildlife
NEW ORLEANS — A federal judge has set an Aug. 26 deadline for court-supervised claims administrator Patrick Juneau to respond to BP’s allegations that it has uncovered new allegations of fraud and conflicts of interest inside a settlement program that has awarded billions of dollars to Gulf Coast businesses and residents.
In an order yesterday, U.S. District Judge Carl Barbier indicated he won’t hold a hearing on BP’s latest request for him to suspend settlement payments while former FBI Director Louis Freeh investigates alleged misconduct by a lawyer who worked on Juneau’s staff.
Barbier rejected the same request last month, but BP said it only recently learned of new evidence of “more widespread and potentially systemic improprieties” in the settlement program for compensating victims of the company’s 2010 Gulf oil spill.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
One Response to “Judge sets deadline for oil spill claims administrator to respond to BP allegations”
Top Posts & Pages
- WILLOUGHBY: Bernie Reed cites hard work as key to success of Reed’s Metals
- Half century of memories — Christmas on Deer Creek to celebrate 50th anniversary
- Analyst: KiOR Columbus plant may end up sold as scrap
- (UPDATE) Gov. Bryant: $1.2 billion aluminum plant is a very exciting proposition for the state of Mississippi
- Ex-MDEQ leader Fisher joins Butler Snow
- Former MDEQ Executive Director Trudy Fisher joins Butler Snow
- Federal appeals court: State's abortion law is unconstitutional
- Can Metrocenter rise from the ashes? Again
- Gulf oil rig explosion kills one worker, injures three
- Hunting deer? There's an app for that