State on pace to break record for fewest fire deaths
by Associated Press
Published: August 13,2013
ACROSS MISSISSIPPI — Mississippi is on pace once again to have the lowest number of fire deaths on record.
State chief deputy fire marshal Ricky Davis tells The Clarion-Ledger 62 people died in fires last year, with 37 of those deaths occurring by Aug. 1.
The 62 deaths were the lowest since record-keeping began.
This year, through Aug. 1, the state fire marshal’s office has investigated 26 fire deaths, according to Davis.
Insurance Commissioner Mike Chaney, whose office oversees the state fire marshal, credits Davis and his effort to get smoke alarms into homes with the reduction in fire deaths.
Davis has championed a program designed to provide smoke alarms to be installed in low-income homes throughout Mississippi.
He also was instrumental in getting the passage of the Fire Standard Complaint Cigarette Law, designed to decrease the number of fire deaths from cigarettes.
In 2011, there were 80 fatalities in fires, Davis said.
“These save lives and everyone should have one,” Chaney says of smoke alarms. “We used to lead the nation in fire deaths, but that isn’t true anymore.”
In 2009, the state fire marshal’s office began partnering with local fire departments and community groups in an effort to install working smoke alarms in homes throughout Mississippi. The alarms were made available through three fire prevention and safety grants received through the U.S. Department of Homeland Security in an amount totaling more than $1.9 million.
Fire deaths are down more than 35 percent since 2009.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Still planning that summer vacation?
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Study: Mississippi has highest sales tax rate in U.S.
- Prescription for success — Transcript Pharmacy continues fast growth
- MSU researchers develop timber-management software
- New law on taxing methods hailed as big win for businesses
- Panther Creek megasite — Putting a value proposition out there
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years
- Panther Creek's location in medical industry zone boosts bio-med prospects
- BBB issues warning involving asphalt paving scam
- Running luxury car dealerships, like Mercedes of Jackson, comes naturally to Trudy Higginbotham Moody