Health Department identifies new West Nile cases, but tosses two out
Published: August 15,2013
AROUND MISSISSIPPI — The Mississippi State Department of Health says there are two new human cases of West Nile virus — and two cases previously diagnosed as West Nile turned out to be something else.
Officials say that means the total remains at 12, with one death.
The new cases are in LeFlore and Marion counties.
The mistaken diagnoses were in Montgomery County, where a patient died, and Forrest County. A news release yesterday did not give the revised diagnoses or say how the error occurred.
The new cases reported yesterday bring the total in LeFlore County to two, with one each in Lamar, Lincoln, Lowndes, Madison, Wayne, Bolivar, Hinds, Rankin and Marion counties. The death was in Bolivar County.
In 2012, Mississippi had 247 West Nile virus cases and five deaths.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Deal for Jackson-Orlando flights in works with Allegiant
- Baseball stadium for Farish Street? It’s possible
- State GOP chairman calls on McDaniel to hurry with challenge
- Explosion at Coast fish plant leaves one dead, three injured
- McCarthy hired as CFO of Mississippi Development Authority
- Former Gov. Musgrove pushing lawsuit to school districts
- Guns OK inside Mississippi polling places, attorney general says
- Former state lawmaker Green dies at home at age 62
- White House hotel making comeback in Biloxi
- 'Get on Up' movie premiers in Madison with Chadwick Boseman and Tate Taylor walking the red carpet