Baptist Memorial lays off nearly two-dozen managers
by Associated Press
Published: August 16,2013
NORTH MISSISSIPPI — A health care system based in Memphis has laid off 23 managers.
Baptist Memorial Health Care says the cuts were across its 14-hospital system and included managerial layoffs in pathology, cardiac rehabilitation and cardiac catheterization.
Baptist spokeswoman Ayoka Pond told The Commercial Appeal yesterday that the employees who were laid off can apply for other positions in the system and will receive job-placement help.
The system’s flagship hospital in Memphis has about 3,000 employees, including 200 managers. About 14,000 people work for Baptist system-wide.
Pond said hospitals are struggling with issues that include people deferring elective procedures, declining government reimbursements, increasing demand for “unreimbursed” care, and employers moving employees into higher deductible health insurance plans.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Still planning that summer vacation?
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Family launches Billups Coffee with headquarters in Oxford
- Chris McDaniel responds to radio show audio clip
- ‘Just the beginning’ — Venture Technologies merging, acquiring companies
- Running luxury car dealerships, like Mercedes of Jackson, comes naturally to Trudy Higginbotham Moody
- Man indicted, accused of bankruptcy fraud
- Study: Mississippi has highest sales tax rate in U.S.
- Chaney drops lawsuit against National Flood Insurance Program
- Grenada native Donna Tartt wins Pulitzer Prize for 'The Goldfinch'
- Fight between county, insurer over courthouse fire continues
- Judge to rule on release of Kemper power plant data